Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Ultra-Portable Drive 1.5TB
Seagate's Free Agent GoFlex is the first 1.5TB portable drive to market, but its performance in tests was a mixed bag.
- First 1.5TB portable to market offers gargantuan capacity, includes USB 3.0 connector
- Connector modules can be unwieldy, must remove module to insert into a dock
A stylish-looking USB 3.0 drive that packs a whopping 1.5TB capacity, but in write performance it lags behind the competition.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Seagate has clearly had a busy year with the launch of its GoFlex storage line. The latest entry in that line is the FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5TB portable drive, which packs half a terabyte more than the competition offers in a 2.5-inch design. The $299 drive (price as of 23 September, 2010) comes with a USB 3.0 connector, too, which means that you don't have to foot the $39 bill for a cable (as you do with other models in the FreeAgent GoFlex series).
Seagate achieved the drive's notable total capacity by increasing the capacity of the platters--375GB per platter, instead of 333GB per platter--and by adding a fourth platter inside the drive. The new FreeAgent GoFlex spins at 5400 rpm, which should result in a slower speed than what we saw from the 7200-rpm, 500GB FreeAgent GoFlex Pro we've tested previously over USB 3.0.
I say "should" for a reason: In PCWorld Labs tests, the 1.5TB drive yielded mixed results -- some strong, one not quite so.
The 1.5TB drive virtually tied, or bested, the Pro model in four of our six tests. For example, it required 59 seconds to read 2GB of files and folders, compared with 63 seconds for the Pro. It also took 31 seconds to read a large 2GB file, versus the Pro's 34 seconds; and it took 27 seconds to write a large 2GB file, the same as the Pro.
The big discrepancy occurred on our test for writing 2GB of files and folders. Here, the 1.5TB drive came in dead last among USB 3.0 portable drives, its performance more on a par with that of USB 2.0 drives we've tested. The FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5TB required 142 seconds to complete the task, falling short of the Pro drive, which took 105 seconds. Other USB 3.0 portable hard drives we've evaluated performed even better--the Iomega eGo Portable Hard Drive took 92 seconds and the LaCie Rugged SuperSpeed took just 63 seconds. When we asked Seagate about the slow speed result, a representative indicated that the drive's four-platter design could have slowed it down.
This drive's massive capacity is a head-turner; after all, that's an awful lot of storage for a portable drive. Seagate claims that it can hold up to 60 high-definition movies, 750 video games, thousands of photos, or tens of thousands of hours of digital music. At this point, when it comes to photos and music, the numbers are getting so high with such examples that it's almost like stating the quantity of hamburgers sold at McDonald's, which now simply boasts "billions and billions served".
I'm still not a fan of Seagate's GoFlex connector arrangement -- but as an avid consumer of storage, I relish the idea of a high-capacity portable drive. I have to give Seagate props for being first out of the gate with a portable drive of this size. If you buy this drive, however, keep in mind its sluggish write speed and its connector system.
[Note: the listed RRP refers to Seagate's 1.5TB GoFlex portable drive with USB 2.0 connection. Pricing has yet to be announced in Australia for the USB 3.0 version]
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCSenior SQL DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystOther
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTMulesoft Integration DeveloperOther
- CCProgram Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorSA
- CCNetwork Planner - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior BA Wealth ADVICEOther
- TPSenior Project Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- FTInfrastructure EngineerQLD
- CCApplications Deployment/SupportNSW
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTProject Manager - ServiceNowOther
- FTBusiness analyst - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTData DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Services EngineerSA
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Higher EducationOther
- CCDesktop Support Engineer - Hunter Valley AreaNSW
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)NSW
- FTProject Manager | Intelligent Transport Software DeliveryOther
- CCProject ManagerQLD