Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk (3TB) external hard drive
A Seagate desktop hard drive with 3TB of storage
- 3TB capacity, detachable adapter tray, good cost-to-gigabyte ratio
- Weak tray makes it unstable
The Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk is a great option for anyone requiring lots of storage space.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Seagate's GoFlex Desk External Drive is a 3TB USB 2.0 external hard drive. Optional adapters can be used to add USB 3.0 and FireWire connectivity.
The Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk is relatively slim considering its huge storage capacity. It’s somewhat skinnier than the Western Digital MyBook World Edition (1TB) (44mm), although slightly taller (158mm).
The GoFlex Desk has a detachable bottom tray that allows users to switch between USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and FireWire 800 connections (the USB 3.0 and FireWire adaptors are sold separately, for $69 a pop). While this is convenient, the tray doesn't feel as sturdy as we'd like. During our tests, the unit toppled over after a minor knock (luckily, it wasn't near the desk's edge).
The drive has four LEDs that act as a capacity drive. There's a SATA port hidden underneath the detachable tray; if you use it you'll need to sit the device flat on its size and the capacity gauge won't work, however.
The 3TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk comes with a ‘Seagate Dashboard’ interface, which handles backup management, synchronisation and data encryption. When prompted to install the hard drive’s Memeo backup software, you can either install the free (but limited) version, or trial the premium version for 30 days. The premium version allows you to backup data online or to specific locations on the drive.
Overall, the GoFlex Desk external hard drive impressed us during our USB 2.0 storage benchmarking tests. During our 19.4GB large file benchmark reading test, the hard drive produced an average speed of 29.2MB per second and completed the task in 12 minutes and 57 seconds. During our 19.4GB large file writing test, the unit generated an average speed of 29.5MBps and finished the job in 13 minutes and three seconds.
In our 3GB small file benchmark reading test, the unit demonstrated an average speed of 16.6MBps, tidying up at three minutes and nine seconds. During our 3GB small file writing benchmark, the GoFlex delivered an average speed of 12.7MBps, checking out at four minutes.
The FreeAgent GoFlex Desk hard drive costs 14 cents per formatted gigabyte, which we think is reasonably good value. It's a great option for anyone who is after serious storage capacity, security and peace of mind.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- These new super fast Intel SSDs provide a bridge to Optane
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCTesting Manager - Energy sectorVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTIntegration Developer (WebSphere Message Broker / Java)SA
- CCVDI EngineerACT
- FTTest AnalystACT
- FTSalesforce Marketing ConsultantNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTOperations Manager - NV1 Cleared - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - SharePoint developerQLD
- CCTechnical WriterVIC
- FTPMO Quality OfficerNSW
- FTIT Support EngineerNSW
- FTSupport Analyst - TallymanVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- TPIT Security SpecialistVIC
- TPNetwork and Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- CCGraduate DeveloperQLD