Seagate External 100GB
- Solid design, fast write speeds, cool and quiet
- Expensive, sluggish read speeds, no automatic backup options
It costs a pretty penny, but proves to be the perfect solution for users looking to expand their laptop’s storage capacity or take their work home with them, without having to worry about burning CDs.
Price$ 439.00 (AUD)
Seagate's 100 gigabyte external hard drive is both a reliable and portable storage solution. Built with a simple, no fuss and highly portable design, what the Seagate lacks in features, it makes up for in convenience and simplicity.
The drive's aluminium-alloy casing provides a durable yet lightweight exterior, while ventilation holes on three of the four sides of the drive help to keep it remarkably cool during operation. The design is quite stylish; black and silver with a blue neon power light, and a simple USB 2.0 port on the side of the device. This connection allows for both power and data transfer, although users with USB 1.1 ports on their computer will need to find a third party device to power the hard drive.
The Seagate performed very competitively in our tests, with impressively fast write times, especially when copying large numbers of files and folders together. It had some of the slowest read times we've seen so far, but not by a large enough margin to justify dismissing it. Our text string search was also a little slower than competing products, but again, only by a few seconds in most cases.
Technical specs for the drive are impressive, with a 5400rpm speed and an 8MB cache. Even when running at full speed, the drive's cooling system made excess heat barely noticeable, and it was whisper quiet.
The Seagate doesn't come with any automatic backup options, although third party software is available to accomplish this. The included software CD has some basic disc management programs, which provide users with a quick and easy way to format, partition and manage their drive.
We are hesitant to recommend this drive given its high dollar to gigabyte price ratio, although Seagate do have a reputation for building solid and reliable hard drives, and the rugged design of their external range continues this trend. A twelve month warranty is also provided, for peace of mind. If you can spare the money, then the Seagate will prove to be a simple, reliable and readily portable storage solution.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTService Desk ConsultantOther
- FTClinical Support Specialist - PermanentQLD
- TPSAP Technical Data AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- TPPrincipal Project Manager|HRIS ProgramQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTICT Business AnalystACT
- TPWeb Communications OfficerACT
- CCSystems / Storage EngineerWA
- FTLevel 2 Mobile ICT AdministratorACT
- FT.NET DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer - (Urgent)Other
- CCAutomation Anywhere developerQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTEngineer Control Systems SpecialistSA
- FTEnterprise Lean Agile CoachOther
- TPOffice 365 Technical LeadQLD
- FTField Technical SupportOther
- TPSystems EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Rules/ Real time analysis)VIC
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- FTQA Lead / TesterNSW