Seagate External 100GB
- Solid design, fast write speeds, cool and quiet
- Expensive, sluggish read speeds, no automatic backup options
It costs a pretty penny, but proves to be the perfect solution for users looking to expand their laptop’s storage capacity or take their work home with them, without having to worry about burning CDs.
Price$ 439.00 (AUD)
Seagate's 100 gigabyte external hard drive is both a reliable and portable storage solution. Built with a simple, no fuss and highly portable design, what the Seagate lacks in features, it makes up for in convenience and simplicity.
The drive's aluminium-alloy casing provides a durable yet lightweight exterior, while ventilation holes on three of the four sides of the drive help to keep it remarkably cool during operation. The design is quite stylish; black and silver with a blue neon power light, and a simple USB 2.0 port on the side of the device. This connection allows for both power and data transfer, although users with USB 1.1 ports on their computer will need to find a third party device to power the hard drive.
The Seagate performed very competitively in our tests, with impressively fast write times, especially when copying large numbers of files and folders together. It had some of the slowest read times we've seen so far, but not by a large enough margin to justify dismissing it. Our text string search was also a little slower than competing products, but again, only by a few seconds in most cases.
Technical specs for the drive are impressive, with a 5400rpm speed and an 8MB cache. Even when running at full speed, the drive's cooling system made excess heat barely noticeable, and it was whisper quiet.
The Seagate doesn't come with any automatic backup options, although third party software is available to accomplish this. The included software CD has some basic disc management programs, which provide users with a quick and easy way to format, partition and manage their drive.
We are hesitant to recommend this drive given its high dollar to gigabyte price ratio, although Seagate do have a reputation for building solid and reliable hard drives, and the rugged design of their external range continues this trend. A twelve month warranty is also provided, for peace of mind. If you can spare the money, then the Seagate will prove to be a simple, reliable and readily portable storage solution.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther
- FTCampaign ManagerOther
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- TPProject Manager/Business Analyst - HPWQLD
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- TPProject Director - Cloud - Qld HealthQLD
- FTTechnical Specialist - IP Networks / TelcoOther
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystOther
- TPChange ManagerNSW
- FTPractice Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTApplication Support AnalystNSW
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantACT
- CCLean Six Sigma Black Belt 6 month contractVIC
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- TPIT Project Manager - Large Complex CRM ImplementationNSW
- CCCloud Application ArchitectNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsOther
- TPFront End Designer/DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Vehicle Fleet ManagementQLD
- FTTransport EngineerOther
- FTJunior / Mid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- CCJava DeveloperQLD