Seagate External 100GB
- Solid design, fast write speeds, cool and quiet
- Expensive, sluggish read speeds, no automatic backup options
It costs a pretty penny, but proves to be the perfect solution for users looking to expand their laptop’s storage capacity or take their work home with them, without having to worry about burning CDs.
Price$ 439.00 (AUD)
Seagate's 100 gigabyte external hard drive is both a reliable and portable storage solution. Built with a simple, no fuss and highly portable design, what the Seagate lacks in features, it makes up for in convenience and simplicity.
The drive's aluminium-alloy casing provides a durable yet lightweight exterior, while ventilation holes on three of the four sides of the drive help to keep it remarkably cool during operation. The design is quite stylish; black and silver with a blue neon power light, and a simple USB 2.0 port on the side of the device. This connection allows for both power and data transfer, although users with USB 1.1 ports on their computer will need to find a third party device to power the hard drive.
The Seagate performed very competitively in our tests, with impressively fast write times, especially when copying large numbers of files and folders together. It had some of the slowest read times we've seen so far, but not by a large enough margin to justify dismissing it. Our text string search was also a little slower than competing products, but again, only by a few seconds in most cases.
Technical specs for the drive are impressive, with a 5400rpm speed and an 8MB cache. Even when running at full speed, the drive's cooling system made excess heat barely noticeable, and it was whisper quiet.
The Seagate doesn't come with any automatic backup options, although third party software is available to accomplish this. The included software CD has some basic disc management programs, which provide users with a quick and easy way to format, partition and manage their drive.
We are hesitant to recommend this drive given its high dollar to gigabyte price ratio, although Seagate do have a reputation for building solid and reliable hard drives, and the rugged design of their external range continues this trend. A twelve month warranty is also provided, for peace of mind. If you can spare the money, then the Seagate will prove to be a simple, reliable and readily portable storage solution.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A5Xs review: Cutting corners
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Xiro Drone Xplorer V by Rapoo review
- 5 Bradley Digital Smoker review: Make a great barbecue even better
Latest News Articles
- Seagate show off new modular Lyve Drive storage solution
- Is there a better time to buy a giant MicroSD card for your Nintendo Switch than Black Friday?
- Seagate's new portable SSDs are as colorful as they are compact
- Western Digital announces Australian release of travel-ready SSD
- Samsung give a new coat of paint (and a discount) to their T5 SSD
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
I highly recommend the Dynabook Portégé® X30L-G notebook for everyday business use, it is a benchmark setting notebook of its generation in the lightweight category.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Soundbars: Why they’re worth it and which one should you buy
- Buying a laptop this EOFY? Here's a cheat sheet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies