Seagate BlackArmor WS 110 (2TB) external hard drive
Seagate's BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive offers hardware-based encryption
- Comprehensive BlackArmor Backup software, eSATA connection, hardware encryption
- Loud during operation, bundled software is Windows-only
If you don't want a central backup server or NAS device, the BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive will give you tight reins over when, where and how you back up files from a computer.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Seagate calls its BlackArmor WS 110 a direct-attached storage (DAS) device, but in most respects it's a fairly standard external hard drive. Aimed at businesses looking to back up individual computers, the BlackArmor WS 110 provides AES 256-bit hardware encryption, extremely fast transfer speeds and comprehensive backup software.
The case looks similar to the consumer-targeted FreeAgent Pro external hard drives. The drive can be placed horizontally or vertically without a stand, though one is provided just in case. Unfortunately, the hard drive is quite loud — particularly when spinning up — and even caused some minimal vibrations on the desk during intensive transfer tasks.
The BlackArmor WS 110 packs in a single 3.5in 2TB hard drive with a formatted capacity of 1810GB. At the BlackArmor's current RRP, you are paying 22c per formatted gigabyte, which is what we'd expect for an external drive this size.
On the back, the BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive provides power, mini-USB 2.0 and external SATA (eSATA) ports.
Seagate's BlackArmor Backup software provides many options that can be tailored to suit different users.
The drive is bundled with the same BlackArmor Backup software as Seagate's NAS devices. Developed by Acronis, the Windows-only BlackArmor Backup suite is refreshingly comprehensive. Though the software encourages you to initiate a backup for your entire computer, it also provides a number of tailored backup options as well as hard drive cloning and management tools. These include a "Try and Decide" option that lets you manage system restore points when installing software that may corrupt the system.
Like Western Digitial's My Book Elite, the software can back up files based on groups of file extensions; all photos or music for example. Unlike the overly simple WD SmartWare software, however, you'll be able to heavily customise what file types are backed up and to which group they belong. Our only hiccup was when the software failed to recognise the BlackArmor WS 110 while it was connected over eSATA; a hot patch from Seagate's Web site quickly fixed this, however.
A second piece of software bundled with the BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive is Seagate's SafetyDrill+, which allows you to create a bootable disk in case of a system crash.
We tested the Seagate BlackArmor WS 110's file transfer speeds over both USB 2.0 and eSATA. Our storage file transfer benchmarks are conducted using a 300GB Western Digital Velociraptor hard drive. Our test files include a 3GB batch of 1MB files as well as a 20GB folder of individual 3-4GB files.
|Small File (3GB) Transfer Test Results|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||USB 2.0||25.8||14.8||9.5|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||eSATA||55.6||34.9||16.7|
|Western Digital My Book Elite||$399.99||2TB||USB 2.0||24.6||15.2||10.2|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||USB 2.0||28.8||17.1||10.5|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||USB 2.0||25||25||10.2|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||eSATA||68.2||50.8||34.5|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||USB 2.0||23.4||15||10.7|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||eSATA||54.5||51.7||41|
|Large File (20GB) Transfer Test Results|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||USB 2.0||28.1||25.5||12.1|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||eSATA||90.2||88.2||35.9|
|Western Digital My Book Elite||$399.99||2TB||USB 2.0||27.7||24.1||11.3|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||USB 2.0||30.3||25.7||12.7|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||USB 2.0||27.9||26.4||11.7|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||eSATA||78.2||78.2||35.1|
|Maxtor [[Artnid:296805|OneTouch 4 Plus|Review: Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus externsal hard drive||$349||750GB||USB 2.0||28.58||25.47||N/A|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||USB 2.0||26.7||25.1||12.7|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||eSATA||89.4||77.3||41.9|
Seagate's BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive fails to surpass the performance of LaCie's Starck Desktop Hard Drive over a USB 2.0 connection, though unsurprisingly blasts ahead when connected over eSATA. Given that other eSATA hard drives we've tested have been configured in a RAID 0 array, it is difficult to compare them to a single drive like the BlackArmor WS 110. There's no doubt this external hard drive is fast, but we aren't entirely sure these speeds are enough to compete with upcoming USB 3.0-equipped external hard drives.
The BlackArmor WS 110's eSATA connection, comprehensive software and reasonable price make it a good choice for securely backing up a single computer.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ford Everest Trend RWD 3.2L Diesel review
- Ford Everest Trend in its natural habitat
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTeam Lead Enterprise Services & InfrastructureOther
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Mobile / Web DeveloperOther
- TPICT Project CoordinatorACT
- FTSenior Node.js DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Financial advisorNSW
- FTCitrix Engineer | 6 month contractOther
- TPSenior .NET AWS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Technical ArchitectNSW
- FTInformation Security ArchitectOther
- TPTest AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- CCProject ManagerSA
- FTGraphic Designer (Print + Digital)Other
- CCIT Security and Risk ManagerQLD
- CCNetwork Engineer - Level 2ACT
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- FT.Net Developer (Senior)WA
- FTDevops Automation EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- CCCore Java Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTJava Team LeaderACT
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane)NSW
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystNSW