Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Seagate BlackArmor WS 110 (2TB) external hard drive
Seagate's BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive offers hardware-based encryption
- Comprehensive BlackArmor Backup software, eSATA connection, hardware encryption
- Loud during operation, bundled software is Windows-only
If you don't want a central backup server or NAS device, the BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive will give you tight reins over when, where and how you back up files from a computer.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Seagate calls its BlackArmor WS 110 a direct-attached storage (DAS) device, but in most respects it's a fairly standard external hard drive. Aimed at businesses looking to back up individual computers, the BlackArmor WS 110 provides AES 256-bit hardware encryption, extremely fast transfer speeds and comprehensive backup software.
The case looks similar to the consumer-targeted FreeAgent Pro external hard drives. The drive can be placed horizontally or vertically without a stand, though one is provided just in case. Unfortunately, the hard drive is quite loud — particularly when spinning up — and even caused some minimal vibrations on the desk during intensive transfer tasks.
The BlackArmor WS 110 packs in a single 3.5in 2TB hard drive with a formatted capacity of 1810GB. At the BlackArmor's current RRP, you are paying 22c per formatted gigabyte, which is what we'd expect for an external drive this size.
On the back, the BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive provides power, mini-USB 2.0 and external SATA (eSATA) ports.
Seagate's BlackArmor Backup software provides many options that can be tailored to suit different users.
The drive is bundled with the same BlackArmor Backup software as Seagate's NAS devices. Developed by Acronis, the Windows-only BlackArmor Backup suite is refreshingly comprehensive. Though the software encourages you to initiate a backup for your entire computer, it also provides a number of tailored backup options as well as hard drive cloning and management tools. These include a "Try and Decide" option that lets you manage system restore points when installing software that may corrupt the system.
Like Western Digitial's My Book Elite, the software can back up files based on groups of file extensions; all photos or music for example. Unlike the overly simple WD SmartWare software, however, you'll be able to heavily customise what file types are backed up and to which group they belong. Our only hiccup was when the software failed to recognise the BlackArmor WS 110 while it was connected over eSATA; a hot patch from Seagate's Web site quickly fixed this, however.
A second piece of software bundled with the BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive is Seagate's SafetyDrill+, which allows you to create a bootable disk in case of a system crash.
We tested the Seagate BlackArmor WS 110's file transfer speeds over both USB 2.0 and eSATA. Our storage file transfer benchmarks are conducted using a 300GB Western Digital Velociraptor hard drive. Our test files include a 3GB batch of 1MB files as well as a 20GB folder of individual 3-4GB files.
|Small File (3GB) Transfer Test Results|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||USB 2.0||25.8||14.8||9.5|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||eSATA||55.6||34.9||16.7|
|Western Digital My Book Elite||$399.99||2TB||USB 2.0||24.6||15.2||10.2|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||USB 2.0||28.8||17.1||10.5|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||USB 2.0||25||25||10.2|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||eSATA||68.2||50.8||34.5|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||USB 2.0||23.4||15||10.7|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||eSATA||54.5||51.7||41|
|Large File (20GB) Transfer Test Results|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||USB 2.0||28.1||25.5||12.1|
|Seagate BlackArmor WS 110||$399||2TB||eSATA||90.2||88.2||35.9|
|Western Digital My Book Elite||$399.99||2TB||USB 2.0||27.7||24.1||11.3|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||USB 2.0||30.3||25.7||12.7|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||USB 2.0||27.9||26.4||11.7|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||eSATA||78.2||78.2||35.1|
|Maxtor [[Artnid:296805|OneTouch 4 Plus|Review: Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus externsal hard drive||$349||750GB||USB 2.0||28.58||25.47||N/A|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||USB 2.0||26.7||25.1||12.7|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||eSATA||89.4||77.3||41.9|
Seagate's BlackArmor WS 110 external hard drive fails to surpass the performance of LaCie's Starck Desktop Hard Drive over a USB 2.0 connection, though unsurprisingly blasts ahead when connected over eSATA. Given that other eSATA hard drives we've tested have been configured in a RAID 0 array, it is difficult to compare them to a single drive like the BlackArmor WS 110. There's no doubt this external hard drive is fast, but we aren't entirely sure these speeds are enough to compete with upcoming USB 3.0-equipped external hard drives.
The BlackArmor WS 110's eSATA connection, comprehensive software and reasonable price make it a good choice for securely backing up a single computer.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- New study finds IT professionals lack confidence in their ability to detect and contain cyber breaches
- New ATR Findings: Hidden Cobra Targets Financial Sector
- McAfee Launches Industry’s Most Comprehensive Cloud Security Solution for Microsoft Azure
- D-Link ANZ Partners Exclusively with AVSystem for Zero-Touch Device Management in Australia and New Zealand
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCUDS DeveloperNSW
- FTStorage & Backup EngineerOther
- FTProject Manager (Telco) - Mid-LevelVIC
- FTCyber Security Solution ArchitectOther
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- CCWindows System Admin with IIS - Insurance ClientQLD
- FTOracle Developer (PL/SQL)SA
- FTPeoplesoft HCM Application DeveloperACT
- TPSecurity and Risk ManagerVIC
- CCScrum Master - Online DigitalVIC
- TPTechnical Project Manager (HRIS)WA
- FTPeopleSoft Business AnalystNSW
- FTDesktop Support AnalystOther
- FT.NET DeveloperOther
- FTHelp desk Support AnalystOther
- FTSenior Digital Frontend Developer, UX & Web TechnologyOther
- TPEnterprise/Service Architect - Service Management ExperienceQLD
- FTC++/Python DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior iOS Software EngineerOther
- FTSenior Salesforce Consultant / DeveloperOther
- CCSAP DevelopersQLD
- CCOracle TesterNSW
- FTWireless Consulting EngineerNSW
- CCFull Stack Web DeveloperQLD