Seagate 750GB Pushbutton Backup
- It's big!
- Nothing of note
It's a fast, roomy drive that's perfect for system backups, for storing video and music. For a large drive, its $1.44 per gigabyte cost is reasonable.
Price$ 1,009.00 (AUD)
Backing up can become a headache if you have hard drives in the order of 300GB or larger installed in your system. A good external hard drive that plugs in using USB 2.0 or FireWire is the perfect solution for storing backups, and Seagate's External 750GB Pushbutton Backup is one such drive.
It's 698GB formatted capacity makes it capable of backing up large single drives or even RAID 0 arrays and its performance isn't too shabby either. It took just over three hours to back up over 24500 files (185GB of data) from the 250GB Western Digital drive in our test bed using the FireWire connection and the supplied BounceBack software.
Once installed, BounceBack can work in conjunction with the "one-touch" button on the case to automatically initiate backups. Once your drive is archived, the directories and files can be viewed in their hierarchies on the external drive (in the same structure as their original location). Within BounceBack, file restoration is simple. You can choose to restore to either the original location or to a new one.
Testing with a smaller data set (4GB), data transferred from our test PC to the external drive, using FireWire, at a rate of 22.50MBps, while data from the external drive transferred back to the PC at rate of 28.98MBps. Comparatively, copying data on a drive connected to a SATA port can achieve rates around 20MBps. The USB 2.0 connection was slightly faster than FireWire, at least for copying data from the PC to the external drive.
Physically the drive has a sturdy plastic case, which is ventilated, and is stackable. If you're looking for a simple one-touch backup system with enough space to store all your files and more, this'll do you proud.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther
- FTTechnical Product ArchitectQLD
- FTDigital BAOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FTCloud ArchitectNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTCyber Security- ManagerSA
- CCPega LSA - Banking IndustryVIC
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Network & InfrastructureNSW
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- TPProject Manager - CRMQLD
- FTPL/SQL DeveloperOther
- FTChange Manager, SAPConnect TransformationOther
- FTTelecommunications Field Engineer (x2)WA
- FTInfrastructure Design Engineer, DC Power, CommunicationsOther
- FTSystems Engineer - Identity & AutomationQLD
- TPSenior Test Analyst - GIS DrupalNSW
- FTProgram Director - ieMROther
- TPIT Technical WriterNSW
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther