SCEE Formula One Championship Edition
- Gorgeous HD graphics; easy to play for first-timers; speed, speed, speed!
- Not a knock on the game, but F1 Racing has limited appeal in the US
Fun for everyone — including you, race-game hater.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
With blazing speeds approaching 215 miles per hour, fragile cars, and highly demanding, technical race courses, the international F1 circuit serves as an interesting counterpoint to the far more popular macho, roughneck world of NASCAR.
Amazingly, Formula One Championship Edition captures all of these themes. Perhaps the greatest compliment that can be paid to this game is that it feels markedly different than a NASCAR racing game.
A big part of the reason that the game feels different is the hair-raising, awe-inspiring sensation of speed. The first three or four times I played, my friend Matt was hanging out with me. At one point, I flawlessly executed the final 180-degree turn at the Bahrain track and, as I entered the straightway, hit a top speed of 210 miles per hour. The feeling of speed was so intense down this straight that we both went slack-jawed, wide-eyed nuts, uttering a chorus of profanities salty enough to make a nun faint.
But this is how F1 Championship Edition rolls. Clearly, the power of the PS3 has been successfully harnessed because the game's speedy gameplay does not come with any sacrifice to graphical quality. The cars, environments, and race tracks all look close to photorealistic.
Believe it or not, there's an element of game design here that is actually more important than the photorealistic graphics and manic sensation of speed. With F1 Championship Edition, Sony's UK-based Liverpool development studio has crafted an authentic-feeling experience that won't piss off inexperienced gamers who don't know F1 from B12.
The key is a series of gameplay aids that help you race without destroying yourself. As an example, as you zip around the course, a virtual green line is painted on the screen that demonstrates the ideal "line" that you should utilise when entering corners. Another example is the auto downshifting of gears as you enter tight turns. Even better, during race week, AI mechanics make all the necessary car adjustments based on your driving performance during practice laps.
Hardcore racers will be happy to know that you can turn off all these aids and manually adjust and control every racing element to your heart's content.
This is not to say that F1 Championship Edition is easy. In my first two races, I blazed top speeds that landed me in the pole position. But racing against a field of 22 drivers is a different experience entirely than racing against the clock. In both races, I choked and wrecked out in the first three laps. Frustrating, sure, but it's refreshing to have some goals to work towards in a video game.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTPerformance EngineerOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- FTDigital BAOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunitiesQLD
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)NSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- CCAdvisory Project Manager - Infrastructure Services.QLD
- CCBusiness Systems Analyst (Expression of Interest)QLD
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | CommunicationsQLD
- FTChange AnalystOther
- CCDigital Content ExecutiveNSW
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- FTTelecommunications RiggerOther
- TPTechnical Lead (Office 365)QLD
- FTChange Manager, SAPConnect TransformationOther
- FTPageUp BAOther
- FTBusiness Information Security Officer (BISO)NSW
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW