ScanSoft PDF Converter Professional 3
- Directly Edit within PDF files, FormTyper, Interaction with Microsoft Office
- Cluttered interface, Have to register before use
A valid alternative to the popular Acrobat Reader, ScanSoft has done an admirable job and the FormTyper function may be a clincher.
Price$ 189.00 (AUD)
Generally, most people who create or edit PDF files will be using Adobe's popular Acrobat application. But ScanSoft has definitely given the multitude of Acrobat users something to think about with the release of their PDF Converter Professional 3.
PDF Converter Professional 3 is very similar to Adobe Acrobat in that is utilises separate modules for dealing with PDF files. But ScanSoft has made it very easy to use as well; you can simply open, for example, a Word Document using PDF Converter Professional and it will "print" to the ScanSoft PDF driver, turning the document into a PDF file in one simple step. This convenient function means that even those who've never had experience with creating or managing PDF files shouldn't have too many issues with the basic function that this program provides.
The three main functions that PDF Converter Professional 3 provides are creating PDF files, editing PDF files and exporting PDF files. The ease of use and interaction with other commonly used programs is excellent; while you're working in a Microsoft Office document (Word, Excel or PowerPoint) you can create a PDF file from directly within that document. You can also unblock PDF files and edit them as Word and Excel documents and save them in multiple file types.
In addition to simply opening a document in the software, you can drag a document into what ScanSoft calls the Create! Assistant; this then allows you to change important settings as well as combine multiple files into a single PDF document. Options that can be tweaked include image compression, security settings, file attachments and digital signatures. While there are plenty of options, new users will undoubtedly be frustrated with the cluttered interface; there's a lot to get your head around and the we think the toolbar should be a little less overloaded. The menu interfaces could also have been improved - they lack that finishing touch and look similar to what you'd see in an incomplete version of the software. Overall, the interface leaves a lot to be desired, which is disappointing.
There are however, a few small touches which complement this program well. The first is the ability to directly edit within PDF files. This means you can add text, delete, rearrange and even remove and edit the position as well as contents of graphics such as charts and tables. This is extremely convenient and we found it worked well most of the time. We did have one or two issues with editing charts, but it wasn't anything that hindered the software but it was worth a mention.
Undoubtedly one of the best features of PDF Converter Professional 3 is what ScanSoft has dubbed "FormTyper". Designed to combat having to print PDF forms and fill them out on paper, FormTyper allows you to make any PDF form fillable and then save and share it electronically. It's surprisingly effective and we are really surprised that it's taken so long to come to fruition in this type of software.
Unfortunately, ScanSoft requires you register the program before you use it for the first time, which we found a little frustrating. It doesn't take long to register, but if you don't do it straight away, you'll repeatedly see a pop up asking you to do so.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPortfolio Lead. PMONSW
- TPIntegration Developer. Cloud SolutionsNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTService Provider Manager - Asset ManagementOther
- FTInfrastructure Design Engineer, DC Power, CommunicationsOther
- FTDesktop Technical LeadOther
- CCSenior Project Manager x 2 (Infrastructure)NSW
- FTUnix/Linux EngineersOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- FTInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTIT Service DeskSA
- FTOperations Process Improvement ManagerOther
- FTDevops Engineer X 2 positionsOther
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- FTLead Solutions Architect- SAP SuccessFactorsOther
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTDesktop / SCCM EngineerOther
- CCArchitect ? Office 365 MigrationQLD
- FTSocial Media SpecialistOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCProgram ManagerNSW