ScanSoft OmniPage 15
- Workflows, Batch scanning, Accurate
- Slow, No powerpoint support
This feature packed offering from ScanSoft has something for both beginners and advanced users alike.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The aptly named Omnipage Professional 15 from ScanSoft allows users to scan both images and documents, edit them as text and export them as a different file type. The program is designed to be used in conjunction with a scanner, or you can simply work with existing files.
Setup for us took around 20 minutes and three separate programs are installed - PDF Converter, PDF Scanner and Omnipage itself. After installation, you will be required to activate the product online. Version 15 is still similar to previous versions of the software, but makes several key improvements, especially to workflows and folder watching.
The Omnipage screen is split into four different areas. At the top of the screen are a set of exceptionally intuitive toolbars, used for loading, scanning and exporting documents. Under these are two separate panels, one which displays the source document or image and the second a text editor which allows you to edit scanned text or images. The last section is at the bottom of the screen and is used to manage the various files you are working on.
Scanning a document is simple and involved pressing the 'Load File' button on the toolbar. You can either choose the source as coming from a scanner or use an existing document or image. Once the file is loaded, pressing 'Perform OCR' will display the document or image in the Text Editor, where you can perform basic image or document editing functions. These include rotating, cropping or editing graphics and aligning, font changes and formatting for text.
Once you have finished editing the document or file, you can either save it as an OPD file to work on it later, or export it in one of the dozens of formats Omnipage Profesional supports. This includes common formats such as Word, Excel and PDFs.
The Professional Edition also helpfully includes direct document to document conversion, meaning that you can convert a PDF file to an Excel file for example. We tried a few different document conversions and for the most part, the data converted was accurate but the formatting wasn't always what we desired. In most cases this was easily fixed. One thing we did notice is that while the program does give you the option to convert files to Microsoft Powerpoint, the file format is RTF and the result for us was just gibberish when we tried this with a PDF slide.
As manually editing files can be time consuming, ScanSoft has included automated processes called 'Workflows', which are simply a series of steps applied to whole documents. There are several preset workflows included or you can customize these or setup your own. For example, by pressing just one button, a workflow can launch that scans a document, converts it to Word file and emails it.
Another example of the automation strengths of this package is the inclusion of Batch Manager. This functionality allows you to define workflows to be run at a set point in time or based on an event, without you actually having to be there. For example, you can set Omnipage to watch a particular file folder or email inbox and whenever a certain type of file is detected, the program will automatically scan, export and save the file in a format of your choosing.
One of the problems you may have when scanning and converting a document is the quality of the original. Omnipage caters for this, providing basic image editing tools such as cropping, rotating and brightness to allow you to improve the images. You can also 'automate' these steps by creating an 'Enhancement Template', which essentially applies the same editing steps to multiple photos. For more complicated editing, you can define zones within documents itself.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTCountry Manager - Business DevelopmentOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Wealth & AgileOther
- FTEnterprise Solution ArchitectOther
- FTCloud ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Accounting BackgroundQLD
- FTBusiness System Analyst | 6mth ContractOther
- FTMid-level Drupal Developer - BrisbaneSA
- CCDesktop Support / Field TechnicianWA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTAgile Digital Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTService Desk EngineerOther
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- FTSenior .Net Developer - (Australian Citizens Only)Other
- FTO365 ConsultantOther
- FTDesktop TechnicianSA
- FT0365 Consultant - Large Scale O365 ImplementationVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTNet Technical Lead - Funds Management Products -Leading FintechOther
- FTLevel 2 Support Engineer | 12mth FTCOther
- FTDatabase AdministratorNSW
- FTMurex DeveloperVIC
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC