Sanyo Xacti VPC-C1
- Size, battery life, MPEG quality, useful USB docking station
- Included SD card too small, tiny size makes recording stable handheld video difficult
The Sanyo Xacti VPC-C1 is a combination digital camcorder and digital still camera that takes reasonable still images and surprisingly good quality video.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
One of the smallest and lightest video cameras on the market at only 155 grams, the Xacti VPC-C1 looks more like a large clamshell mobile phone than a video capture device.
The Xacti is a breeze to operate, with simple, single-handed operation of the record and playback buttons and control over the 5.8X optical zoom within easy reach of the thumb. A useful joystick/menu button combination allows you to delve deeper into the settings when needed.
The Xacti captures still images at a resolution of up to 2 megapixels (interpolated up to 3.2 megapixels), with image quality good enough for 6" x 4" photo prints.
It records video to an SD card in MPEG-4 format, with the highest resolution mode being 640 x 480 pixels, shot at a rate of 30 frames per second (fps). Alternative rates include Web-HQ (320 x 240 at 15fps) and Web-S mode (176 x 144 at 15fps).
Video and still images are stored on a removable SD flash memory card. The Xacti is supplied with a 128MB SD card, which only gives you around 8 minutes of video at the highest setting. Purchasing a much larger SD card is highly recommended.
We found that the video was, at its highest quality setting, close to VHS quality. There is no widescreen mode.
The 5.8X optical zoom is excellent. The Xacti also has a 10X digital zoom, but this should used sparingly as the results are less than satisfactory.
A useful docking station serves as a video-out point should you want to copy video or stills to tape. It also provides USB 2.0 connection to a PC or Mac and acts as a battery charger for the camera.
The lithium ion battery was very effective, with one charge in our testing lasting for more than an hour of video and dozens of still images using the onboard flash.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 3 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 4 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTHogan Technical ConsultantOther
- CCNetwork Triage Operational SpecialistVIC
- FTSolutions DesignerNSW
- FTHadoop DeveloperACT
- FTEmail Campaign Production SpecialistOther
- FTFront end developer/designerNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTNetwork Design EngineerOther
- FTFront End Developer with UX designOther
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- TPFront End Designer/DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTTechnical Support - Level 1 - Minchinbury NSWOther
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Testing/Technical WritingOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - InsuranceOther
- TPAudio Visual Project ManagerNSW
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - Selenium/ToscaOther
- FTSitecore DeveloperNSW