A perfectly capable all-round HD set top box
- All necessary outputs, good price, reliable
- Slightly boring looks, not much information displayed on LCD
If you want a high quality HD set-top box but don’t need recording capability, Sanyo’s simple, speedy unit can do everything you need.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Sanyo’s TUHD1000 is a high-definition television set-top box that, frankly, does everything it professes to. It quickly and accurately scans channels, outputs them in high definition with all the appropriate connectors and doesn’t have much to go wrong with it. If you’re looking for a simple and reliable unit you can’t go wrong here.
It’s a pretty simple unit to look at and in black it looks unobtrusively classy. We’re not huge fans of the alternative silver/black combination, though. The unit’s four major buttons — power, channel switching and a TV/radio toggle — are hidden behind a simple flip-down panel. Everything else is handled by the system’s remote, which has an easy-to-use layout.
The TUHD1000 has all the connections you’d expect from a mid-range set-top box. HDMI will no doubt be the most commonly used port, with optical digital out being used for 5.1-channel Dolby Digital audio from appropriate broadcasts. Analog connections are also aplenty, with component, S-Video and composite available for connection to older TV sets looking to join the digital television revolution.
The LED display on the front of the unit harks back to VHS days — rarely useful for more than checking the channel or the current time; its saving grace is that it doesn’t attempt to do anything spectacular.
The main bulk of the information is conveyed through TUHD1000’s on-screen display. Thankfully, it’s functional and simple — if slightly unsightly — and handles all the vital functions of a set-top box acceptably.
Auto tuning of television and radio channels was gratifyingly quick and all of the channels were picked up in an area of strong signal reception. Obviously, signal quality is dependant on your location and interference, but we found the TUHD1000 to be very capable. Switching between channels was speedy and flawless, requiring less than a second for most changes.
All other set up steps are equally simple, with television resolution and aspect ratio the main options. The TUHD1000 is capable of 1080i resolution, which is equal to the highest quality broadcasting in Australia.
The system also has a rudimentary electronic program guide system built in, which relies on the channel information transmitted with broadcasts. It’s a slightly clunky system and we would have preferred a little more refinement, but it gets the job done. Along with this is an information screen that provides technical data about the current channel’s broadcast — signal strength, quality, frequency etc. — though most users would have utterly no interest in this.
We couldn’t fault the unit’s picture or sound quality. They’re not fantastic — definitely not the quality of a good Blu-ray movie — but that’s the fault of the television broadcast quality rather than the player. Dolby Digital output through optical digital was also a bonus whenever channels were broadcast in it.
All in all, there’s not really much to fault about the TUHD1000. As a high-definition set-top box it fulfils its aims admirably — and it doesn’t attempt to do anything more. If you want hassle-free digital television on either a newer or older set, you can’t go wrong with the TUHD1000.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTTechnical Support - Level 1 - Minchinbury NSWOther
- CCAb Initio DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTLead UI Designer (Apps)NSW
- CCMS Project Server DevelopersNSW
- CCIT SharePoint SpecialistACT
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer - TelecommunicationsOther
- CCTRIM Support OfficerACT
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- CCProduct Owner - TelcoVIC
- TPProgram Manager - Managed ServicesQLD
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Developer - Oracle - TelcoVIC
- CCProgram / Project Support AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTData ModellerOther
- FTProject Manager - ApplicationsOther
- FTNetwork & Security Gateway EngineerACT