Sanyo PLV-Z800 home theatre projector
A Full HD (1080p) Sanyo projector that has great colour and runs almost silently
- Good contrast and smooth colour gradation, near-silent fan
- Requires a dark room to display best image, dynamic iris is occasionally noticeable
For a reasonably cheap home theatre projector the Sanyo PLV-Z800 does a great job of displaying smooth, film-like colour. It also operates almost silently, which is a definite advantage during quiet movie scenes.
Price$ 3,299.00 (AUD)
The Sanyo PLV-Z800 is an entry-level 1080p home theatre projector with a quoted contrast ratio of 10,000:1 and ANSI brightness of 1200 lumens. It needs a dimly lit room to really shine, but we were impressed by its performance given its price.
The PLV-Z800 closely resembles other Sanyo home theatre projectors we've previously looked at, like the Sanyo PLV-Z2000 and Sanyo PLV-Z5. Instead of requiring a fiddly lens cap, the PLV-Z800 uses a sliding door to cover the lens — this is an excellent idea. The 2x zoom lens has vertical and horizontal shift using the side-mounted manual controls, and a lock switch allows the lens' position to be fixed to prevent any unwanted creep. On top of the Sanyo projector you'll find a grid of controls, but we preferred using the backlit remote control for making adjustments.
If you've got multiple video devices, the Sanyo PLV-Z800 should be able to accommodate them all. Two HDMI 1.3 ports support 1080p devices like Blu-ray disc players or home theatre PCs, while older analog video devices can be connected through the composite, S-Video, component and VGA ports. There's also an RS-232C serial port for integrating the Sanyo PLV-Z800 into a home automation system.
Setting up the Sanyo PLV-Z800 was a breeze. The 2x zoom lens means getting a correctly sized projection image is easy, and focus is well weighted for small adjustments — however, it is manual rather than electronic, so you'll need to go to the screen to check focus and then back to the projector if any tweaking is needed.
Image quality is excellent — when you're in a dark or dim room. The Sanyo PLV-Z800's 1200 lumen brightness rating is enough for it to excel in darker environments, but with fluorescent downlighting or sunlight the picture is quickly washed out and contrast is lost. In an appropriate viewing environment, though, the Sanyo PLV-Z800's projected image displays great levels of fine image detail from 1080p content. Our The Dark Knight test Blu-ray footage was crisp in close-up scenes, and good detail was displayed in darker areas of the screen. When the movie flicked from bright to dark scenes we did occasionally notice the dynamic iris lowering brightness levels, but for almost all other movie watching this wasn't a problem. Colour is also handled extremely well by the Sanyo PLV-Z800, with no banding or poor gradation that we could see.
One feature of the Sanyo PLV-Z800 that impressed us was the almost silent operation of the fan. Even when we had the lamp at full brightness, we weren't able to hear the fan over low volume movie dialogue. Switching the lamp to economy mode, which lowers brightness and heat levels, means the fan is all but inaudible even with no audio playing.
If you're after a competent home theatre projector for playing 1080p content, the Sanyo PLV-Z800 is a great choice. We liked its detailed and colourful picture, and the quiet fan impressed us.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior DeveloperWA
- FTTelco Project Coordinator - paying $70 p/hrOther
- FTIT TechnicianOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Logistics and Supply ChainOther
- FTBusiness Process AnalystOther
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- CC.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTIBM Tivoli Network Configuration leadVIC
- FTWindows EngineerACT
- FTIT GraduateACT
- FTFront End Developer (Urgent)Other
- FTSenior Technical Support EngineerACT
- FTJunior .NET DeveloperOther
- FTOperational Systems Support SpecialistOther
- CCUX Developer / DesignerQLD
- FTAgile Business Analyst, MarketingOther
- CCNetwork Planner - TelcoVIC
- FTSAP HR / PAYROLL SPECIALISTACT
- CCJava Developer- API &Micro servicesNSW
- TPProject Support OfficerNSW
- TPDesktop Support ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW