Sandisk Cruzer Profile
- Biometric Scanning, Encryption software, Nice extras
A great thumb drive for the security conscious, offering layers of protection for your valuable data.
Price$ 150.00 (AUD)
If you're like us, you regularly carry lots of Classification six CIA documents around with you. Until recently, we'd just been keeping them on a regular USB stick for any spy to steal, but with the new Cruzer Profile this isn't a concern. A USB stick with a built in finger print reader, the Profile offers layers of security, including biometric scanning and encryption, keeping your data secure as you move between PCs. You do sacrifice a little in terms of size and style, but for the security conscious this is a pretty nifty device.
Coming in 512MB and 1GB capacities, the Profile is a fairly standard USB key in terms of functionality. It is USB 2.0 compliant and our testing revealed transfers consistent with this speed.
The real selling point of the Profile is its biometric functionality. The unit splits in half revealing a small finger print reader, similar to those found on notebooks, and this is used to grant access to the data on the drive. The first time you use it you'll have to boot up a piece of software to input your finger prints; it can store up to 10 at once. It is interesting to note that Sandisk has partitioned this drive into two separate sections (something we haven't seen before on a flash drive) and it can conflict with your drive mappings if you have a lot of network drives. The second drive is only needed to add new finger prints, so it isn't a big issue after the initial setup, but we struggled to use it on our work machine as we have multiple network drives already configured. Taking it to a separate, non-networked machine fixed this problem.
We had no issues with the scanner's operation. It worked perfectly, taking a single clean swipe to register our print. Prior to scanning the drive shows up, but gives a formatting error. A single swipe opens it up and leaves it open until you remove the drive from the PC.
Aside from biometrics, the Profile also offers a variety of encryption options to further secure your data. The proprietary Cruzerlock software allows easy drag and drop encryption of any files you wish to store securely; access is granted by a standard username and password system. By default the Profile comes with the basic version of Cruzerlock, but you can choose to purchase an upgraded version, which gives enhanced functionality including network file sharing, the ability to control the level of access to your data (read only etc.) and the ability to lock the files to a single machine. For most people the basic version should be more than adequate.
There are a few other useful programs as well. Cruzersync allows easy synchronisation of your Outlook, Lotus Notes, Calendar, Contacts and Documents across multiple machines, while PocketCache lets you select certain important directories that are backed up automatically every time you plug your key in.
Of course all these security features come at a price; the biometric scanner does take up a fairly hefty amount of space. The Profile is twice as wide as most modern USB sticks and thus will be much more obvious hanging from your keyring or in your pocket. However it isn't a big enough problem to really be an impediment. The other design flaw is the cord that connects the two sections of the device. Why SanDisk didn't make it a single piece is beyond us. If the cord happens to break or get damaged in some way, all your data is lost. Aside from these small issues, the Cruzer Profile is an excellent storage device for the security concious.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDrupal DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst- Data Analytics backgroundOther
- CCDesktop Support Analyst / EngineerNSW
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- TPTeam Leader - Software DevelopmentQLD
- CCJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TP.Net Web DeveloperSA
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTAPI LeadOther
- FTOracle Developer / EngineerACT
- CCSharepoint DeveloperWA
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTChange Lead- Strategic Implementation & Transformation ProjectsOther
- FTBusiness Process AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTRadio Communications Field TechnicianOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Analyst / DesignerNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCSite Acquisition CoordinatorNSW
- CCContent WriterNSW