- Large and bright screen, visualisations, easy to navigate controls, ability to transfer songs from other MP3 devices, sound quality
- Hard to keep clean
The T8Z has everything you are looking for in an MP3 player and a whole lot more.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Samsung YP-T8Z is an all-in-one entertainment player that sets itself apart from its rivals with a gorgeous 1.8" colour screen, complete with visualisation effects and easy-to-use controls.
The LCD takes up most of the front of the unit and is clearly the YP-T8Z's most attractive feature. The display is bright and colourful, with plenty of room to show basic tag information such as artist name, album, song title, format and bit-rate. A clock, a battery life meter, track number, sound equaliser, time eclipsed and time left are also packed into the screen. There are even three mini visualisers (although two of them are not music-reactive), which can be changed by simply pressing the NAVI key for about 2 seconds. Visualisers are simply animated colour graphics that usually play to the beat of the music you are listening to.
When we first got our hands on the YP-T8Z, we could have sworn that we were holding a mobile phone rather than an MP3 player--such is the shape and design of the unit. The YP-T8Z is a little on the large side in terms of flash player MP3s, but with an outstanding list of features, we can clearly see why. The YP-T8Z is gently curved on its front, back and sides and overall is a comfortable player that cups well in your hand.
The controls on the YP-T8Z are spaced out and uncluttered, making the device very easy to access. Samsung has used a clickable switch (called the NAVI key) to scroll up and down the menu, and it's simple to use and very efficient.
The main menu of the YP-T8Z features animated pictures representing the function you are scrolling through--quite similar to a Nokia mobile phone menu. This makes browsing through the unit's features, such as the FM radio, photo viewer and games, very quick and easy, not to mention visually delightful.
The YP-T8Z demonstrated excellent sound quality and the headphones supplied with the unit provided a great amount of bass. The unit supports the usual repeat and shuffle features, and also provides extensive equalisation features, including surround sound (with 13 different settings).
The YP-T8Z supports playback of MP3, WMA, audio ASF and OGG files. Conveniently, you can simply plug the device into a PC or Mac and drop and drag music files onto the player. Unlike some other models--notably Sony's range--the supplied software is not required to transfer MP3s onto the player from your PC. The software that comes with the player is still useful for a number of other tasks, including creating specific playlists and ripping CDs.
The YP-T8Z is brimming with extra features. The unit supports video playback, although the supplied Multimedia Studio software is required to convert the file. Video is played back in landscape orientation. However, the colour display is not brilliant and there is no zoom function. The player can be used as a text and image viewer for stored documents. Another excellent addition is the motion-sensitive gaming capability. The unit includes four games--Darts, Hextris, Pipe Dream Plus and The Hurdles--but you can't play games and listen to MP3's simultaneously. You can also transfer files directly from other MP3 players. We connected the YP-T8Z to the Toplux M260 and transferred a file to the unit with a minimum of fuss. The player acts as a USB host and you simply use the NAVI key to scroll through and select the files you wish to transfer.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCSecurity Business AnalystNSW
- TPIT Training OfficerQLD
- CCTransport EngineerVIC
- FTIntegration and Implementation SpecialistVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTDatabase Engineer (Oracle)ACT
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSalesforce Marketing ConsultantNSW
- CCSolution Designer with PEGA experience- TelcoVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCGun Java/ Full Stack Developer wanted...VIC
- FTSenior Marketing Manager | Global Technology CompanyNSW
- FTSenior Activations Performance Analyst | $700pdVIC
- CCProgram ManagerVIC
- FTLevel 3 Service Desk Support Engineer / Project ManagerQLD
- CCDevOps Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- FTTest CoordinatorACT
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperNSW
- FTUX / UI Designer MobileNSW