Samsung YP-S2 (Pebble)
Cute and glossy entry-level MP3 player
- Tiny, cute design, easy to use
- No LCD screen, simple feature set
Samsung's YP-S2 Pebble MP3 player is a unit for those after something basic. It does a good job with music playback and it looks stylish, but it lacks the features of its more expensive counterparts.
Following in the footsteps of Creative's successful Zen Stone player, another rock-like device has just joined the portable music player space. Samsung's YP-S2, dubbed the Pebble, is an entry-level, flash-based music player that keeps things nice and simple. It lacks any kind of complicated features and has no LCD display, but for users after a cheap, simple device as a backup or even as their main player the Pebble is an attractive option.
As with the iPod shuffle, this unit is a no frills and no fuss device. If you're after fancy EQ settings, FM radios and so on then you need to look elsewhere. This unit simply has a play/pause button, track skip and volume keys, as well as a single smart function key to alter the play mode. It does have shuffle and loop modes and supports playlists made on the device itself, but they can be fiddly to make at the best of times.
The only other feature of note is DNSe 2.0, which stands for Digital Natural Sound engine. This acts as a kind of all-purpose equaliser. It made the sound a touch richer and extends the bass a little more, but like most digital enhancements it also made things sound more synthetic and some audio purists will probably prefer it switched off.
Even without DNSe running the sound quality is pretty good. Bass extends nicely and there is a good amount of detail in the mid and high ranges. The unit supports a fairly basic array of file formats — just OGG, WMA and MP3 — but it's easy to add files by just dragging and dropping them when the Pebble is connected to a computer.
The controls are tactile and responsive and should prove easy to use even for complete novices. The whole device appears to be designed with simplicity in mind.
Aesthetically, the Pebble fits its name nicely. It's a small, circular shaped device that when flipped over could be mistaken for a rock (albeit a glossy black one). The cute design should appeal to fashion-conscious buyers, but the glossy finish does suffer the age-old problem of attracting fingerprints. Because it has no LCD it is a little difficult to find specific tracks, but this isn't a deal-breaker by any stretch of the imagination.
The headphones double as a lanyard, so you can hang the Pebble around your neck. The included headphones themselves are pretty good considering the cost of the overall package; they won't satisfy audiophiles but they're certainly better than run-of-the-mill ear buds.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSolution Architect - Security/DigitalVIC
- FTMulesoft Solutions DesignerNSW
- TPPrincipal Data AnalystQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | CommunicationsQLD
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- TPDigital Project Manager - SalesforceNSW
- FTJava Developer (API Development)Other
- FTBackend Java DevelopersNSW
- TPFrontend Developer - AngularNSW
- CCService Delivery Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTDigital BAOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- FTFront End Developer l HTML5 , SCSS, Bootstrap, KnockOut, MVVPNSW
- FTProgress 8.3 DeveloperOther
- CCService management Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Technical Engineer - MacVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer - AWS, Jenkins, GitVIC
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTProject Manager - Develop Strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrdOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC