A good media player with touch-sensitive controls.
- Stylish, intuitive menu, produces good sound, good screen
- No drag-and-drop functionality, menu lags in certain folders, fingerprint magnet
The Samsung YP-Q1 (16GB) is an attractive and well-performing device that lacks the versatility needed to compete with the similarly priced iPod nano.
Price$ 289.00 (AUD)
Samsung's YP-Q1 is a flash-based portable media player that offers plenty of features at a decent price. Unfortunately, its interface suffers occasional lag and the player lacks drag-and-drop functionality.
The Q1 is stylish in a minimalist way, with a shiny black plastic case and a candybar shape. However, it is also a fingerprint magnet — the touch-sensitive interface means that the Q1 will be covered in your fingerprints very quickly.
Along with the usual five-way directional keypad, which has four illuminable cursor keys shaped as a diamond, there is also a back and a menu button. Unfortunately, the navigation buttons don't have clear boundaries, so users will often try to press the central button and activate a directional button instead. If you've got large hands, it'll take you some time to get used to the controls.
The menu system is simple and intuitive. In the music section songs are organised into artists, albums, songs and genres. Although there are five blank playlists included by default, and you can add songs to these on the go, you can't create new playlists on the Q1 itself. Instead, you will have to rely on the bundled software.
Occasionally, particularly in the games and images categories, we found there were significant delays between pressing a key and getting a response. By contrast, everything ran smoothly in the video and music sections,
The Q1 has a nice collection of features. Unlike the Samsung YP-S3 this unit has a voice recorder. The player offers a built-in microphone, an FM radio tuner and a few simple games. Its 2.4in TFT display has a resolution of 320x240 and plays movies smoothly. Images are displayed with great clarity and colours come out boldly.
Music sounds good and has plenty of detail, but the quality is limited by the mediocrity of the bundled headphones. If you can afford it, we'd strongly suggest purchasing a better set of headphones. Samsung has included its DNSe (Digital Natural Sound Engine), and the effect is an increase in richness and bass but a noticeable decrease in detail. Given that the default playback quality is fine, most users are better off ignoring this setting.
The Q1 supports MP3, WMA and MPEG4 file formats for music, so users can't play WAV or other lossless music formats. Dragging and dropping media is not supported, which means that all file transfers will need to be done via either the included software or a program like Windows Media Player.
Given that an Apple iPod nano (4th Generation) with the same capacity can be bought for an identical price, users will need to decide if they can resist the iPod's trendiness and choose the larger-screened Q1 instead.
Join the newsletter!
Featuring a high capacity ink tank system, that completely removes the need for cartridges - it comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Project Manager - Technical IT / DigitalOther
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTServiceNow- Platform DesignerOther
- FTSenior Desktop Support OfficerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Start JUNE 18QLD
- CCPega DeveloperVIC
- FTFull Stack Developer - NodeJSQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSolution Architect - DigitalVIC
- FTMultiple Angular ExpertACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Supply Chain / LogisiticsVIC
- CCIntegration ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Security EngineerOther
- FTAV Support Team LeaderOther
- FTProxy Product Owner - $800pdOther
- TPAPS 6 Web DeveloperACT
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Customer Centric ContentQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Technical Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTLead Agile BAOther
- FTChange and Communication LeadersOther
- FTIAM DevOps EngineerOther
- FTNetwork Engineer (Permanent Opportunity)QLD
- FTAccount Manager-Multiple RolesSA