Samsung Writemaster SH-W162C/RSWN
- Good quality burning
- Pricey, no DVD-RAM burning
A little pricey for what you get, nonetheless this Samsung model burns very high quality discs.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Replacing the Samsung TS-H552, the SH-W162C/RSWN is the latest in the Writemaster range. It has made a great leap from 4x DVD +/- RW to 16x. In our tests we only had 6x DVD +R available, which burnt 4GB in 7min (a data rate of 9MBps). This was slightly slower than the competition, but burnt a better quality.
The real competition in the DVD market lies in the double-layer burning. The SH-W162C/RSWN burns DVD+R DL at 5x, however, it detected our 2.4x discs at 6x and produced a readable burn of 7.4GB in 20 minutes, a data rate of 6MBps.
The quality of this burn appeared nearly perfect when we analysed it later. This is due to Samsung's Silent Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) and Tilt Actuator Compensation Technology (TACT).
The Silent PWM allows for more precise voltage waveforms at high disc speeds and the TACT provides the correct angle for the laser to write, for each part of the disc. The SH-W162C/RSWN has a 2MB buffer and a burst rate of 25MB. However, it lacks DVD-RAM, which you will find in most burners in a similar price range.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- These new super fast Intel SSDs provide a bridge to Optane
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTScrum Master/Project ManagerQLD
- FTProject Manager - Accountin Finance and AssetWA
- FTSoftware and Applications Programmer (Java Developer)ACT
- CCProgram ManagerVIC
- FTPMO CoordinatorVIC
- CCAS400 / iSeries EngineerNSW
- FTlevel 2/3 SupportVIC
- FTProject Manager Large ICT Enabled Business Change ProjectQLD
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerVIC
- FTApplication AnalystSA
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical Support EngineerNSW
- FTAccount Manager - Technology SolutionsNSW
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTIntegration EngineerACT
- CCDevOps Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer - IP routing & switchingNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTSQL BI Report DeveloperQLD
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- TPSolution Architect - InfrastructureQLD
- FTInformation Security ArchitectQLD