- 5.9mm thin, reasonable display, 3.2-megapixel camera, Bluetooth with A2DP profile
- No memory card slot, flat keypad, battery life
The U100 may not have a generous features list and lacks a memory card slot, but it wows with its design alone. At just 5.9mm thin and a weight of 59g, it really is a stunning piece of industrial design.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Claiming to be the world's thinnest mobile phone at just 5.9mm, the Samsung U100 is as flat as a pancake. Despite its slim design, this standard GSM handset manages to squeeze in a 3.2-megapixel camera, a 1.93in display and a TV-out feature -- though it's a shame Samsung couldn't find room for a memory card slot.
The U100 has to be seen to be believed. Although it's fairly long, it is just 5.9mm thin, making it effortless to slide in and out of your pocket. The minuscule size and weight of just 52g makes it feel very fragile, though the plastic finish does seem fairly durable. In short, the U100 is a stunning piece of industrial design.
As the handset is so thin, the front of the U100 is almost dead flat, with the exception of a small line below the display. As such, the keyboard may not suit all tastes; the keys require a firm press to activate and it's easy to press the wrong button when using the five-way navigational pad. Further, each key is quite small, so those with large fingers may be left frustrated.
The U100's display is a unique 1.93in TFT, but the design of the handset leaves it feeling squashed. It's fairly wide, but not as long as we'd have liked. We felt it could have been a little larger, especially when taking into account the unused real estate above and below it. Despite this, the display has a decent viewing angle and performs reasonably well, if not outstanding, in sunlight.
Samsung deserves credit for managing to squeeze a 3.2-megapixel camera with 4x digital zoom into the U100. There is no flash though, only a self-portrait mirror. The images produced are reasonable for a camera phone and there are a number of settings including multi- and mosaic-shooting modes; a night mode; a three-, five- or 10-second self-timer and a range of effects and frames.
A basic music player is included and Bluetooth with the A2DP profile means you can wirelessly stream your music. The U100 also has Bang & Olufsen's ICEpower technology designed to offer enhanced acoustic capabilities and sound quality without affecting battery life. We didn't note much of a difference in sound quality but the included proprietary headphones don't help. Unfortunately, the biggest issue of the U100 is the fact there is no memory card slot for extra storage. The U100 has just 70MB of internal memory, meaning you won't be able to store many multimedia files.
Strangely, although there is a TV-output option, there is no composite TV-out cable included in the sales package. Other features include standard POP3 and IMAP4 e-mail access, SMS and MMS messaging with T9 predictive text input, a hands-free speakerphone, polyphonic and MP3 ringtones, a voice recorder and a document viewer.
Battery life is below average, which is disappointing but expected when considering the thin design. The U100 is rated at up to 2.5 hours talk-time and up to 195 hours of standby time. Although Samsung claims the use of Optimized Power Usage Solution (OPUS) will increase talk-time by 10 per cent which uses an optimised RF chipset and circuit design.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
- Boost Mobile Doubles Data Offering With New Summer Plans
- BlackBerry KEYone Black Launches in Australia
- HTC U11 Plus latest rumours: Release date, price and specs
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM CONSULTANT ? NV1 CLEARANCE REQUIREDACT
- FTSupply Master Data AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- FTProject Manager (Network & Security)Other
- TPieMR Business Analyst - Sunshine Coast Hospital - $850/dayQLD
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- TPSCRUM MasterVIC
- TPProcurement ManagerACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Client TechnologiesOther
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- CCTest Analyst - BrisbaneACT
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTETL/Data EngineerOther
- FTCyber Security- ManagerSA
- TPDelivery Lead - IT Services Function - Day rateNSW
- FTLean Six Sigma Consultant - Black BeltNSW
- FTDigital Transformation Architect - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTSAP EMAOther