From the Book of Saw will be in cinemas on May 13
Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
- Excellent image quality, accurate colour reproduction, flawless performance, attractive design
- Connection options
The Samsung SyncMaster 226BW is made for gamers. With excellent image quality and an incredibly fast speed, it will definitely win hearts.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Samsung SyncMaster 226BW is a 22in widescreen LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050. With a slick design, exceptional image quality, and a reported response time of 2ms, it is sure to become a favourite amongst gamers.
We connected the 226BW to our test PC via DVI and ran the desktop at the native 1680x1050. The clarity and detail was quite stunning. There were no problems at all with the desktop icons, and the colours where rich and accurately reproduced.
Using DisplayMate Video Edition we ran a series of extensive test patterns designed to reveal any image quality abnormalities. Throughout the entire test, the Samsung performed brilliantly with no problems whatsoever. The greyscale test was delivered with no discolouration and an excellent blend along the scale without stepping. The reported contrast ratio of 3000:1 appeared to be accurate based on these tests. The uniformity test was handled flawlessly and the back light bleed test showed no blacklight leakage.
Since this monitor has a reported response time of two milliseconds, it stands to reason that we perform some gaming tests and speed tests to check for ghosting. We ran World of Warcraft and Doom 3. Warcraft is an excellent test for colour due to the rich environments and motion in the battle action. We had no problems at all during this test. Spinning the camera around our character did not cause any ghosting or speed trails and particles/visual effects were displayed with high detail.
The enveloping darkness of Doom 3 is an excellent test for contrast and black levels and during our session we found no problems with either. There were no contrast issues to speak of and the blacks were accurate. The action in this game is much faster paced than Warcraft, but regardless, the 226BW handled it with grace.
The connection options are a little limited with only one DVI and one 15pin D-Sub. We would have liked to see two DVI ports on the 226BW, and even some component ports like the similarly priced Asus PW201.
For gamers though, this is an excellent monitor. It's fast, it has awesome colour and the piano black design will suit the need for all things fancy. It will also work brilliantly for office tasks, but the response time and the 8 bit colour processing means the 226BW is targeted squarely at the gaming crowd.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Razer Naga Trinity review: The last best MMO gaming mouse
- 2 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 3 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- 4 Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- 5 Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review: Killer form-factor, lethal price-tag
Latest News Articles
- Something for everybody in Acer’s new models
- Samsung's curviest Odyssey gaming monitors are coming to Aus in August
- Lenovo play to their strengths with ThinkVision M14T mobile monitor
- One of HP’s best gaming monitors is dumb cheap for Click Frenzy
- Samsung’s Odyssey line to make an Australian debut with new gaming monitor
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Best Android and Apple phones for under $600
- Dynabook announces 11.6-inch student laptop
- Signal's hack of surveillance software a big concern for courts
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies