Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW
Samsung's SyncMaster 2233SW is an LCD monitor boasting a Full HD resolution. However it lacks an HDMI connection.
- Full HD resolution, superb image quality, great design, excellent colour and contrast, non-glossy screen, no visible ghosting during fast motion
- No HDMI, no included DVI cable, poor vertical viewing angles, ball-hinge stand design
Samsung's SyncMaster 2233SW may lack HDMI connectivity, but this LCD monitor remains a great choice for the home and office thanks to a stylish design and great image quality.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Samsung's latest SyncMaster LCD monitor is the 2233SW — a Full HD display boasting a 1920x1080 resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio. The lack of HDMI connectivity is a little disappointing, but this is still a great LCD monitor.
Recent Samsung LCD monitors have been extremely stylish, and the SyncMaster 2233SW continues this trend. It has a glossy black bezel with a clear extruded plastic edge running along its base. A soft blue LED just below the Samsung logo on the bottom of the display completes the stylish package, along with a round stand. Light tends to reflect off the surface of the bezel, though the screen itself isn't glossy so it's ideal for use in an office environment. We didn't like the controls on the right side of the monitor, which have difficult to read labels and the buttons require a firm press.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW's stand is difficult to connect, with an awkward ball hinge connection that involves pushing the bottom of the monitor into the stand with plenty of force. The ball hinge doesn't click into place like with most other LCD monitors; instead it is wedged into place. Although it holds the LCD monitor sturdily once connected, the stand doesn't allow the monitor to swivel or be raised; nor does it allow much tilting.
The monitor has a 5ms refresh rate, making it one of the faster 22in screens on the market. The lack of HDMI connectivity does limit the Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW's use for high-definition gaming, though it performed well in our fast-motion tests — only slight trailing was present and there was no noticeable ghosting issues when viewing action movies and PC games.
Colour and contrast are excellent. The listed dynamic contrast ratio is 15,000:1, though the typical contrast ratio is 1000:1. Black levels are rich, detail is excellent and both light and dark contrast showed with plenty of distinction in our DisplayMate tests. The SyncMaster 2233SW also has accurate hues and saturation levels and produces a crisp, sharp image with no evidence of backlight bleeding.
It is worth delving into the on-screen menu as Samsung has included many useful features, headed by MagicColor and MagicBright. MagicColor increases the brightness and is ideal for viewing images, while MagicBright is a set of pre-programmed colour modes including sport, movie, dynamic contrast, text, Internet and game. In a regular office environment we found Internet mode to be the ideal setting, though the colours produced in some of the other modes are excellent, with no over-saturation. Text is displayed accurately with minimal aberrations and at the native 1920x1080 resolution the Windows Desktop looked superb.
Our only real complaint lies with the vertical viewing angles, which could be improved. Thankfully, the horizontal viewing angles are much better, with no noticeable colour shift.
The rear of the Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW has an etched flower design. The LCD monitor includes DVI and D-Sub ports but disappointingly there is no DVI cable included in the sales package.
Join the newsletter!
Brought to you by Norton Symantec
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Asus Announces The Latest Designo Curve MX32VQ Monitor
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCiOS Developer - Brisbane locationOther
- CCMultiple Java Developer roles!NSW
- CCSENIOR PROJECT MANAGER - INFRASTRUCTURENSW
- CCJunior Project ManagerVIC
- FTJunior BA x 2Other
- CCTechnical BA - BI/DatawarehouseNSW
- FTHelp-desk Support AnalystOther
- CCSenior Software Engineer, Full Stack, Sydney CBD, Java, .NET, Angular, Web APINSW
- CCInfrastructure Architect - IT ArchitectVIC
- FTSAP ABAP (CRM)/ UI5 DevelopersOther
- TPLotus Notes DeveloperQLD
- FTHealthcare TesterVIC
- FTProject ManagerOther
- CCHealth & Safety Project OfficerNSW
- FTIT Sales/Account Manager - EducationNSW
- FTTechnical Quality LeadVIC
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM - Greenfield implementationVIC
- FTDigital Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior AX Developer / Team LeadOther
- FTSenior Checkpoint Security EngineerOther
- FTSolutions ArchitectOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- FTCyber Security Solution ArchitectOther