Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW
Samsung's SyncMaster 2233SW is an LCD monitor boasting a Full HD resolution. However it lacks an HDMI connection.
- Full HD resolution, superb image quality, great design, excellent colour and contrast, non-glossy screen, no visible ghosting during fast motion
- No HDMI, no included DVI cable, poor vertical viewing angles, ball-hinge stand design
Samsung's SyncMaster 2233SW may lack HDMI connectivity, but this LCD monitor remains a great choice for the home and office thanks to a stylish design and great image quality.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Samsung's latest SyncMaster LCD monitor is the 2233SW — a Full HD display boasting a 1920x1080 resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio. The lack of HDMI connectivity is a little disappointing, but this is still a great LCD monitor.
Recent Samsung LCD monitors have been extremely stylish, and the SyncMaster 2233SW continues this trend. It has a glossy black bezel with a clear extruded plastic edge running along its base. A soft blue LED just below the Samsung logo on the bottom of the display completes the stylish package, along with a round stand. Light tends to reflect off the surface of the bezel, though the screen itself isn't glossy so it's ideal for use in an office environment. We didn't like the controls on the right side of the monitor, which have difficult to read labels and the buttons require a firm press.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW's stand is difficult to connect, with an awkward ball hinge connection that involves pushing the bottom of the monitor into the stand with plenty of force. The ball hinge doesn't click into place like with most other LCD monitors; instead it is wedged into place. Although it holds the LCD monitor sturdily once connected, the stand doesn't allow the monitor to swivel or be raised; nor does it allow much tilting.
The monitor has a 5ms refresh rate, making it one of the faster 22in screens on the market. The lack of HDMI connectivity does limit the Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW's use for high-definition gaming, though it performed well in our fast-motion tests — only slight trailing was present and there was no noticeable ghosting issues when viewing action movies and PC games.
Colour and contrast are excellent. The listed dynamic contrast ratio is 15,000:1, though the typical contrast ratio is 1000:1. Black levels are rich, detail is excellent and both light and dark contrast showed with plenty of distinction in our DisplayMate tests. The SyncMaster 2233SW also has accurate hues and saturation levels and produces a crisp, sharp image with no evidence of backlight bleeding.
It is worth delving into the on-screen menu as Samsung has included many useful features, headed by MagicColor and MagicBright. MagicColor increases the brightness and is ideal for viewing images, while MagicBright is a set of pre-programmed colour modes including sport, movie, dynamic contrast, text, Internet and game. In a regular office environment we found Internet mode to be the ideal setting, though the colours produced in some of the other modes are excellent, with no over-saturation. Text is displayed accurately with minimal aberrations and at the native 1920x1080 resolution the Windows Desktop looked superb.
Our only real complaint lies with the vertical viewing angles, which could be improved. Thankfully, the horizontal viewing angles are much better, with no noticeable colour shift.
The rear of the Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW has an etched flower design. The LCD monitor includes DVI and D-Sub ports but disappointingly there is no DVI cable included in the sales package.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
- G-Sync HDR displays go ultrawide and ultra-fast with the 200Hz Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTL1/L2 Helpdesk Technician - FIFOWA
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTPresales Security Solutions ArchitectVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Application Lifecycle Management (Logistics)Other
- FTSoftware Developer - Delphi, VMS, FortranOther
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTPerformance Tester - Load RunnerACT
- FTAWS Data ArchitectsOther
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantVIC
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystNSW
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCSenior PMO ManagerNSW
- CCWindows 10 Deployment TechnicianWA
- FT.NET Full Stack DeveloperOther
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Tester - Asset Finance OR mortgage app testing essentialOther
- FTNetwork AdministratorOther
- FTSOE ArchitectOther
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA
- FTIntegration Specialist / DeveloperQLD
- FTData Centre ManagerOther
- CCIdentity & Access Management ArchitectVIC