Samsung SyncMaster 206BW
- 2ms response time
- Limited viewing angle, inflexible design
The Samsung SyncMaster 206BW is a very good widescreen desktop display. It is competitively priced and, once calibrated, performed very well in our text and colour tests. But, of course, you get what you pay for. If you can live with a limited viewing angle and a relatively inflexible design, and without a lot of extra features, the Samsung SyncMaster 206BW could be a fine choice if you're looking for a medium-sized display on a small budget.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
The Samsung SyncMaster 206BW is an affordable, widescreen, 20in LCD monitor.
And although it's a pretty barebones model in terms of extra features, the Samsung SyncMaster 206BW is anything but skimpy when it comes to its specifications, boasting a super-fast 2ms response time.
The Samsung SyncMaster 206BW sports a shiny black case with silver accents and rounded edges. The buttons used to navigate through the on-screen menus are located on the bottom of the display, and each button's function is clearly marked just above it, making them easy to use.
The base is relatively stationary, with no height adjustment or pivot capability; the Samsung SyncMaster 206BW will tilt back a few degrees and can swivel from left to right easily.
There are two inputs -- one analogue port and one DVI digital port -- for connecting up two computers to the display. When we plugged the Samsung SyncMaster 206BW into two computers, it booted correctly into its native 1680x1050-pixel resolution.
The Samsung SyncMaster 206BW was overly bright and blue when first connected; most displays are right out of the box. After calibrating the monitor with an Eye-One Display 2 device, greys were more neutral and light areas were no longer overblown.
If you don't have an external calibrator, take heart: we were able to get the Samsung SyncMaster 206BW looking just about as good using the on-screen menus. Text was clean and clear and very legible, even at small point sizes. Our colour test images looked great.
The Samsung SyncMaster 206BW's viewing angle was not one of its standout features. As with many of the 20in widescreen monitors we've recently tested, colour shifts and loss of contrast were very noticeable when looking at the display from left or right of centre. The up-and-down viewing angle wasn't great, either.
If you don't use your display to collaborate with co-workers very often, then the Samsung SyncMaster 206BW's limited viewing angle is not really a big deal. But if you do have folks looking over your shoulder or seated next to you on a regular basis, then chances are that they won't be experiencing the same colours that you are seeing on this monitor.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- G-Sync HDR displays go ultrawide and ultra-fast with the 200Hz Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
- More high-end GPUs are now compatible with Dell's 8K monitor
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTIT Support Specialist - Level 2Other
- TP.Net DeveloperWA
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- CCSenior Master Data AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - TelecommunicationsOther
- CCCloud Engineer - Multiple roles - AWS/AzureVIC
- FTSoftware Developer - Web ApplicationsOther
- FTIT Systems Specialists - Collaboration SystemsOther
- FTSenior Strategic Business Analyst - Modernisation ProgramNSW
- FTSupport AnalystOther
- CCMultiple Front End Developers - BRISBANE | React.js | Angular.js | Node.js |VIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Siebel - Canberra / MelbourneOther
- FTIT Program SchedulerOther
- FTService Desk EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Azure AD)Other
- FTTransition Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- FTMicrosoft Azure Cloud EngineerOther
- TPDigital ArchitectNSW
- FTDevOps Lead / Identity Services Security LeadOther
- FTSenior Systems Engineer - Veeam / Shadow ProtectOther
- FTSAP Logistics Consultant - SD/MM/LE/WMOther