So, what do I want out of my next laptop and what must it include?
Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW LCD monitor
A 20in Samsung LCD monitor with dynamic contrast and a fast response time
- 16:9 ratio, good image quality, stylish design, excellent colour and contrast, non-glossy screen, no ghosting
- No HDMI, unsteady stand
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW is a 16:9 LCD monitor with a high resolution for its screen size. It is well designed for watching widescreen HD movie content, but it doesn’t have the connection options to make it a great all-rounder.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW is a 20in LCD monitor with a 1600x900 resolution that's useful if you want to use your PC to watch videos shot in wide-screen without unsightly black bars intruding. It has a 16:9 aspect ratio, so unlike LCD monitors with a 16:10 ratio a movie will fill the entire screen. However, users looking to pair it with an Xbox 360 or other HDMI-enabled device will be disappointed.
The SyncMaster 2033SW has a similar design to other Samsung monitors such as the Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW, with a glossy piano black bezel and a transparent lower lip. This style certainly makes the Samsung monitors stand out from the crowd, but we can’t help but feel that the bezel on the SyncMaster 2033SW is somewhat larger and bulkier than necessary. The stand of the monitor is also slightly flimsy, which means it doesn't take much to make the monitor shake; this may prove annoying if you’re a particularly energetic typist or mouse-clicker.
The monitor has DVI and D-Sub VGA ports, but audio and HDMI inputs are noticeably lacking.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2033W has a 5ms refresh rate, which means it can display games without ghosting and is a good choice for watching fast-motion videos. Contrast and colour reproduction are also good. The LCD panel has a 15,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio thanks to the WCG-CCFL backlight, though static contrast is a more down-to-earth 1000:1.
Black levels are good, with plenty of detail visible in darker areas of the screen during games and high-definition video playback. Our DisplayMate tests revealed no significant flaws in the image quality of the Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW; notably, sharpness was spot-on. We did notice that the monitor was quick to lose colour and contrast when vertical viewing angles were altered. Thankfully, horizontal viewing angles are far more forgiving, with no significant colour shift until we reached an unreasonable angle.
We were disappointed by the lack of HDMI input and in-built speakers, but if you’re using the Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW to play high-definition content then you will not be disappointed by its image quality.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Acer unveils new range of desktop PCs, notebooks and gaming machines
- Asus Announces The Latest Designo Curve MX32VQ Monitor
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies