Samsung ST50 digital camera
This super-slim, 12.1-megapixel Samsung camera is stylish but takes mediocre photos
- Attractive, well-built, crisp LCD, easy to operate
- Mediocre picture quality, smart picture mode sometimes chooses questionable settings
The Samsung ST50 is a very good looking digital camera and the pictures it takes are clean, but photos are sometimes soft when taken at higher zoom levels, and snaps are under-saturated.
Price$ 379.00 (AUD)
The Samsung ST50 is an ultra-slim digital camera with a smart picture mode. Unfortunately, the 12.1-megapixel sensor and 3x zoom lens are mediocre, with the end result being picture quality that is surpassed by other manufacturers’ slim cameras.
The Samsung ST50 digital camera is small at only 16.6mm thick for the majority of the body, but it packs a lot into that small chassis. Weighing 121 grams without a battery or SD card installed, it is heavier than we expected. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as the ST50 seems well-built and sturdy.
A glossy brushed-metal finish with darker accents shows off the camera’s curves well, while the rear is dominated by the 2.7in LCD screen. Shutter, power and the smart mode buttons are joined on the camera’s top by a zoom rocker, while the other buttons are on the rear.
The Samsung ST50’s LCD screen is where all the composition takes place, with no optical viewfinder built-in. The screen is crisp and colour is well saturated. Although we’re not a fan of the interface and its font, it is easy to read. Brightness is more than high enough for the screen to be readable in direct sunlight, with three settings available as well as an automatic dimmer.
Picture quality from the Samsung ST50 is average. The 12.1-megapixel shots display a good amount of detail at the widest zoom levels, but we found colours to be slightly undersaturated and lacking the vibrancy of photos taken by the Canon IXUS 110 IS. When using the 35-105mm (35mm equivalent) 3x zoom lens at higher zoom levels we noticed some loss of definition on edges and deteriorating sharpness. We would have preferred a wide-angle lens (around the 28mm mark) — thin, cameras like the Samsung ST50 are probably going to be used for a lot of party shots quite often.
The smart picture mode takes control of the camera — apart from the zoom and shutter — out of your hands. It determines whether the scene is a portrait, a landscape shot or some other situation in order to attain the best picture quality. We had mixed results, with one photograph of a computer component from 2m away being incorrectly recognised as a landscape. The smart mode is able to switch between macro and normal focus modes automatically, making most shooting trouble-free.
The Samsung ST50’s movie mode isn’t high definition but it has a higher resolution than the 640x480 provided by most low-end cameras like the Samsung ES15. The 800x592 high quality mode uses MPEG-4 for efficient compression. Although it's not exactly cinema quality, the Samsung ST50 is good enough for the odd home movie.
The Samsung ST50 digital camera is very stylish and very well built. We just wish the pictures didn’t require a little Photoshop tweaking in order to shine.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSystems Analyst- Port MacquarieQLD
- FTDIRECTOR PROJECT DELIVERY, WELLINGTONNZ
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCScada Project ManagerWA
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Manager- Change ManagementSA
- FTReport Developer and Visualisation AnalystQLD
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager (Office 365) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPSOE EngineerACT
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOACT
- TPSenior Web DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTCapacity ManageSA
- TPTraining and Support Officer - Windows 10QLD
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCTransport EngineerVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- CCSolution Architect with Magento experience wantedVIC
- FTTechnical Business AnalystSA
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC