Samsung Series 9 (LA46A950)
The best LCD TV we've ever seen.
- Incredible blacks comparable to the best plasmas, fantastic colours, sharp image, handles motion well, lots of bonus features
- Minor aliasing on text, a little detail lost in some dark areas
Samsung's Series 9 LA46A950 is the best LCD TV on the market. While not perfect, its flaws are negligible and it offers an incredible combination of deep blacks, rich colours, sharp images and great motion, along with a host of bonus features, making it the panel to watch out for this Christmas season.
Price$ 5,499.00 (AUD)
If there's one question we're sick of hearing as technology journalists it's whether plasma or LCD TVs are better. Usually you give a spiel about LCDs being better for bright rooms and offering sharper pictures but plasmas having better blacks and colours. With the introduction of LED backlights, however, the distinction becomes more difficult.
We recently had the pleasure of looking at Samsung's new flagship TV, the LD46A950, and we can safely say it is the best LCD TV we've ever seen. Offering black levels that are on par with the best plasmas, the Series 9 TVs represent the current pinnacle of display technology and should be on every enthusiast's Christmas list this year.
It was during the opening moments of our testing that we knew we were in for something special. We test in a sealed room with the lights off, and during one of the loading sequences the screen temporarily went black. The TV was so black the entire screen disappeared into the darkness.
The unit has a rather ridiculous sounding 2,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. Whether or not this is actually the case, it's clear that it is a cut above the rest. The blacks are so deep a little detail is sometimes lost in dark areas, but the overall contrast performance is still impressive.
What's even better is the colour depth. We tested on the cinema setting and everything looked absolutely fantastic. Bright colours were vibrant without being too oversaturated and skin tones looked smooth and accurate. The overall colour balance was one of the best we've seen and required minimal tweaking of the calibration settings.
Our high-definition tests were well rendered with a crisp, sharp image. There was minimal noise even in our particularly strenuous test scenes, and the level of detail was as impressive as we've come to expect from high-definition media. We spotted some minor aliasing on our Xbox 360 menus; this was the only blemish in an otherwise stellar performance.
In our standard-definition tests the unit performed as expected. It did a good job of up-scaling our test DVD footage with minimal artefacts and aberrations. The picture was a little grainier than in our HD tests, but that is expected and it looked better than many other competing panels. Colours and blacks were still as impressive as they were in our HD tests. The panel should be more than adequate for your day-to-day DVD watching.
Blacks aside, one other point of contention with LCDs is their motion reproduction. It was a big issue with older panels, but it has steadily been improving — this unit is a good example of that. There was no noticeable ghosting or trailing and the 100Hz mode worked well, with minimal artefacts.
While the LED backlight is the star of the show on this unit, it also sports all the extras found on the Samsung Dual WAN Advanced VPN Router (TW100-BRV324) . This includes Wiselink Pro and Digital Living Network Alliance connectivity. DLNA is a protocol that allows you to stream media from your home network without the use of a third-party device. It is still in its infancy at the moment and has some limitations (such as the inability to stream wirelessly) so it isn't particularly useful yet. Wiselink Pro, on the other hand, can be kind of cool. It allows you to play a variety of media, including video and audio, from a USB stick. The number of codecs supported is quite high, so most of your media should be supported. It also features a content library with a variety of features such as recipes, fitness tips, games and stories.
Aesthetically, the unit impresses. It has a carbon-coloured bezel that looks smooth and stylish. Samsung has always been at the forefront of TV design and it shows here. We do have a complaint with the on-board controls, however; they are touch sensitive and are almost impossible to find under regular lighting conditions.
The unit sports four HDMI ports, which should be enough for even the most demanding enthusiast. There are also the usual component, composite, D-sub, S-Video and optical out ports.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Hisense's 2018 TV Lineup Is 'A Whole Other Story' For Australians
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Sony's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Samsung's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Hisense's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At TCL's Press Conference
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSAP ABAP CRM DeveloperACT
- FTProject Manager - NSW Health exp essentialOther
- FTJnr Project Manager/Business Analyst - Software ImplementationOther
- TPSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager - Risk & ComplianceNSW
- TPSAP S/4HANA Implementation Project Manager - FMCGVIC
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystOther
- FTIntegration SpecialistNSW
- TPSystem AnalystACT
- CCVmware SpecialistNSW
- TPSystems Support AnalystQLD
- CCHadoop DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Field TechnicianNSW
- TPScrum Master | Cloud MigrationQLD
- FTFull stack DeveloperOther
- FTClinical Application Support Specialist - PermanentQLD
- FTCRM Solution ArchitectACT
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCInformation Security AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Program ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Test AnalystOther
- CCFront-End DeveloperNSW
- CCHFC Project Officer (Governance Support) - 6 mth contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist ? VMwareVIC