Samsung Series 8 (PS51D8000) 3D plasma TV
Samsung Series 8 TV review: Samsung's best plasma has 3D, Smart TV and a thin design
- Excellent picture quality
- Great design
- Impressive sound quality from a thin TV
- The Series 6 might be slightly better value
- EPG is slow to load and navigate
The 2011 edition of Samsung's Series 8 plasma is, as we'd expected, an impressive piece of technology. Its sound and visuals are great, and the inclusion of various 'Smart TV' features makes the Series 8 a useful multimedia device as well as a traditional TV. The built-in Web browser isn't perfect and we'd definitely prefer a notebook if one was close to hand, and some of the features are a little imperfect, but the Series is is nonetheless a big step forward from the featureless TVs of a couple of years ago.
Price$ 2,599.00 (AUD)
This review is for the 59in Samsung Series 8 (PS59D8000) 3D plasma TV. The full review can be found here. The 51in PS51D8000 is smaller, but significantly cheaper than the 59in TV we reviewed, making it better value.
The Samsung Series 8 (PS59D8000) is a 59in 3D plasma TV that builds on the high quality and impressive performance of last year's Series 7 plasma. It's got an excellent plasma panel and can display a great deal of detail from Full HD video, with almost no loss of detail in dark and bright scenes. We're still not sold on the 3D, but it's better than last year's attempt. Similarly, the Smart TV features aren't perfect but they provide a distraction to mundane digital TV.
If you're picking out a new television and want to work out what's best for you, read through our LCD vs LED vs plasma TV buying guide.
Want to learn about 3D TV? Take a look at our 3D TV buying guide.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTQlikview Technical LeadOther
- FT.Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTService ManagerOther
- FTPermanent Project SchedulerACT
- FTLead Business AnalystNSW
- FTSolutions DesignerNSW
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Pega DeveloperOther
- CCOracle Identity and Access Management AdministratorNSW
- TPLead Data Business AnalystQLD
- FTMerchandise Floor PlannerOther
- FTLead Solution ArchitectSA
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- FTAgile Business Analyst, CXOther
- FTScrum Master, MarketingOther
- FTProject AnalystOther
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- CCFull-Stack DeveloperVIC
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- CCLevel 2-3 Desktop SupportWA
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- CCIT Project SchedulerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTSenior Software EngineerNSW
- TPProject OfficerQLD