So you can enjoy the sunshine while listening to your favourite music or podcast. Thanks to Sennheiser. Enter today.
Samsung Series 8 3D plasma TV (preview)
Samsung's Series 8 plasma TV is thin, pretty and comes with a touchscreen remote control
- Thinner bezel means larger screen sizes, cool touchscreen remote
- We didn't like the Series 9's remote control...
Samsung's Series 8 3D plasma TV looks to be a near-identical design to the Series 8 3D LED TV, with a thin chrome bezel and a four-legged stand. If past experience proves true, it should have equal or superior picture quality and a lower price tag.
Samsung's Series 8 plasma TV was announced at CES 2011, along with the Samsung Series 8 LED TV and Samsung Series 7 LED TV. It's got all the fancy features of its LED counterparts, but we're putting money on it having better picture quality at a comparable price point.
If you're picking out a new television and want to work out what's best for you, read through our LCD vs LED vs plasma TV buying guide.
Want to learn about 3D TV? Take a look at our 3D TV buying guide.
Have a look at what we thought were the best TVs of 2010.
Just like the Samsung Series 8 LED TV, the Series 8 plasma has a chrome bezel that's around 5mm thick. Samsung is separating its plasmas from LED TVs by offering different screen sizes — instead of 2010's 42in, 50in, 58in and 63in panels the televisions will be available in 43in, 51in, 59in and 64in sizes. Samsung says the thinner bezel means this increase in screen size will not make the televisions any larger than last year's models.
Samsung's new Smart Hub — incorporating the Search All service that finds content on USB drives, networked PCs and mobile devices, the Samsung Apps application download service, the Your Video movie recommendation feature, and an inbuilt Web browser — is the Series 8's main drawcard, along with a colour touchscreen remote control like the one we saw on the $10000 Samsung Series 9 LED TV.
When we compared the Samsung Series 7 (PS50C7000) 3D plasma TV to the Samsung Series 7 (UA55C7000) 3D LED TV, we thought the plasma had slightly better contrast and a nicer picture overall. Since the same-sized LED TV was $300 more, buying the plasma was a smarter choice. We're guessing that the 2011 models will tell the same story — but we're keen to get our hands on one to reach final a conclusion.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide's Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review: Killer form-factor, lethal price-tag
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Xiro Drone Xplorer V by Rapoo review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung launches new Galaxy A smartphones in Australia
- Samsung upgrade their Australian tablet range
- Dell launches its Rugged range
- Sony launches three new 4K HDR Home Cinema Projectors
- HP launches Omen by HP Challenger Series Tournament
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Soundbars: Why they’re worth it and which one should you buy
- Buying a laptop this EOFY? Here's a cheat sheet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies