Samsung Series 8 LED TV (preview)
We look at the D8000, Samsung's Series 8 LED TV from CES 2011
- Super-thin bezel, amazing styling
- It's probably going to be expensive...
We're very keen to take a look at Samsung's newest Series 8 LED television when it hits Australian shores. With styling that's a mix of 2010's Series 7 and Series 9 LED sets, it has LED edge-lighting hidden behind its super-thin bezels as well as 3D processing that automatically detects the content type.
At CES 2011, Samsung threw the covers off over 40 new LCD, LED and plasma TVs. The Samsung Series 8 LED TV is the flagship model in the new line-up, and it's definitely impressive. It's got a bezel that's barely 5mm thick, with a glossy chrome finish and the same four-legged stand we saw on the 2010 Samsung Series 7 LED TV.
All the usual high-end bells and whistles are built in — it has a 200Hz refresh rate, 3D processing with 3D glasses that connect via Bluetooth, and a touchscreen remote control. If you're lazy, you can even use an iPhone or Android phone to control the television. Built-in Wi-Fi means the Samsung Series 8 LED TV can connect to your wireless network and access Samsung's Smart Hub service, which includes a Web browser, movies, downloadable applications and a search function.
We don't have any details about Australian launch dates and pricing for the Samsung Series 8 LED TV, but we're looking forward to putting one through its paces in our Test Centre.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- HP rolls out patch to fix keylogging bug in certain laptops
- Some HP PCs are recording your keystrokes
- Rumor suggests the Note8 will be a bigger S8+ that adds a missing feature
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- CCVDI EngineerACT
- FTTelecommunications Provisioning LeadQLD
- FTSalesforce Marketing ConsultantNSW
- FTPMO Quality OfficerNSW
- CCIdentity Access Management - Business AnalystVIC
- CCDesigner - Salesforce Marketing CloudVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPIT Business AnalystNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Microwave Transmission EngineerNSW
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- CCJava Developer / System Designer - Aus Citizens OnlyWA
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- FTAgile CoachNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTTIBCO Support AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCInfrastructure EngineerACT
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- FTStorage EngineerSA