Samsung ML-4551ND monochrome laser printer
A good value monochrome laser printer that produces professional quality documents
- Good print quality, fast, cheap to run
- DHCP-assigned IP addresses aren't displayed on the printer, network security protocols could be better
Samsung's ML-4551ND offers lightning-fast printing without sacrificing quality. Better text printers are available, but this printer remains exceptional value.
Price$ 1,699.00 (AUD)
Samsung's ML-4551ND is the company's top-of-the-line monochrome laser printer, and it offers network connectivity and fast print speeds. Although its print quality isn't as consistent as HP's LaserJet P4015n, the Samsung ML-4551ND laser printer can still produce accurate documents.
The ML-4551ND monochrome laser printer has a 500-sheet front-facing paper cassette and a 100-sheet multipurpose tray. Samsung quotes the ML-4551ND laser printer's monthly duty cycle at a maximum of 200,000 pages, so it will definitely be able to handle high quantities over a lengthy period.
USB, Ethernet and parallel connections are offered on the back panel, which also opens to reveal the printer's mainboard. The ML-4551ND's retail configuration has 128MB of memory, but this is user-upgradeable to a maximum of 512MB. Automatic duplexing is included, allowing you to print double-sided in order to cut down on paper use.
The ML-4551ND monochrome laser printer is quite easy control both directly and over a network. Five buttons and a monochrome LCD on the printer itself allow you to change settings such as duplex and layout, graphics resolution, network options and even emulated print languages. Unfortunately, while you can change the static IP address, you must print a network configuration report when determining the printer's DHCP-assigned address.
The Web interface provides many of the same settings available directly from the printer, along with additional network security settings like IP filtering. The interface also allows you to upgrade the ML-4551ND monochrome laser printer's firmware.
Samsung provides Windows, MacOS X and even Linux drivers for the ML-4551ND.
In our tests, the ML-4551ND took an average of 9.3 seconds to print the first page of an A4 document. Subsequent pages printed at an average rate of 46.1 pages per minute; this is slightly slower than the LaserJet P4015n. The speed was consistent when using either of the printer's quality settings.
Text documents are crisp and accurate, with no aberrations. Though the ML-4551ND lacks the line density or half-toning capabilities of some HP monochrome laser printers, it manages to produce text suitable for professional presentation documents. Monochrome graphics are also highly detailed, though the printer's 1200dpi resolution lacks the fine grain required to create a consistent black.
Both 10,000- and 20,000-page toners are available, with the later producing an average running cost of 1.9c per A4 page.
Automatic duplex and an extensive menu system complement fast print speeds and fantastic document quality. There are better text printers available but given its price the Samsung ML-4551ND is great value.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- TPTest Analyst - AutomationQLD
- CCJava Tech Lead with AEMNSW
- FTPMO ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Manufacturing IndustryVIC
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- FTAWS DevOps EngineerOther
- FT1st Level Technical SupportVIC
- FTWeb DesignerOther
- FTNetezza Developer - Brisbane locationVIC
- FTDevOps Engineer / Senior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCSecurity AnalystVIC
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- CCField Technician - Windows/ Office 365 EnvironmentVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect ? Azure Cloud InfrastructureQLD
- FTProject Manager - Product & Value ChainOther
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- CCService Design LeadVIC
- CCOracle Fusion Middleware AdminNSW
- FTSitecore - Full Stack .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTSAP Test AnalystsACT
- FTNetwork Support Engineer - Level 2/3NSW
- CCUnix AdminNSW
- FTAPI Developer | Full stackOther