Looking for a bargain? You need to look no further than the M610.
- Outstanding value, decent design, A2DP Bluetooth, microSD storage slot
- Questionable build quality, average display
Commanding an RRP of just $60, the M610 is simply outstanding value for money. It doesn't offer anything new, innovative or even remotely exciting, but does any of that really matter when it's yours for pocket change?
Price$ 60.00 (AUD)
Samsung's latest entry-level mobile phone features a solid design and basic features but nothing to really get excited about. Given the handset's price, however, the MP3 player, FM radio, Bluetooth connectivity and microSD storage represent outstanding value, so this phone comes highly recommended.
According to the press kit, the M610 phone "encompasses true style with a fluid design". We're not sure if those are the words we would use to describe its appearance, but this compact slider is somewhat stylish. In particular, the rounded corners, sturdy plastic finish and polished edges make it look reasonable.
Slid open, the M610 reveals straightforward controls, including a well-designed keypad. These buttons provide excellent tactile feedback. They are slightly raised for extra support and give off a soft audible click when pressed. The rest of the controls are also well implemented, headed by a five-way navigational pad, two selection keys, answer and end call buttons and a dedicated clear key.
One disappointing aspect of the M610's design is its slider. When slid open, the top half of the slider wiggles slightly from side to side when pressed. It's not a huge issue, but this raises questions about its build quality, especially considering the number of times the slider will be opened and closed during the phone's lifespan. Also below average is the quality of the display; though we didn't expect much considering the phone's price and market position, poor viewing angles and a lack of sharpness left us unsatisfied. Again, though, given the asking price we can't complain too much.
The features list isn’t long, but an MP3 player, FM radio and a VGA camera that doubles as a video recorder provide a reasonable multimedia experience. A microSD card slot is available and although Samsung doesn't include a card in the sales package, the price of these cards continues to fall. Unfortunately, there is no standard 3.5mm headphone jack, but the A2DP Bluetooth profile means you can wirelessly stream your music to a compatible set of headphones or speakers.
A range of PIM functions rounds out the features list. The M610 comes with a voice recorder, alarm, calendar, memo, world clock, calculator, converter, timer and stopwatch functions — an impressive list in anyone's books.
Join the newsletter!
Toys for Boys
MSI looks to add executive chic to a winning laptop formula
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 3a review: Less is more
- 2 Moto G7 review: The new gold standard for budget buyers
- 3 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Telstra strike $10 off their 60GB plan for Click Frenzy
- There's generosity and then there's this new Circles.Life 100GB phone plan
- Huawei's Mate 30 Pro gets a late & limited Australian launch*
- Optus opt to emphasise 4K sports at 5G launch
- The Galaxy Fold has one small feature that might make it the best phone Samsung have shipped all year
PCW Evaluation Team
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
- Google Pixel 4 XL review (2019): Full Resolution
- Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Show Off
- iPhone 11 Pro review: Identical looks, superlative cameras
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies