Plenty of bang for your buck
- Stylish design, build quality, reasonable features list, A2DP Bluetooth
- Proprietary headphone jack, mediocre display
The J700 isn't going to win any awards, but it does a relatively sound job if you are after a budget handset with a few extra features. It is one of the better pre-paid handsets on the market.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
Although looking similar to the 5-megapixel G600, the J700 is a totally different kettle of fish. This basic GSM slider is aimed at the low-end of the market and it provides reasonable bang for your buck.
Like many Samsung handsets, the J700 looks smart and stylish. Samsung has worked hard on the design of its handsets in recent years and the majority of them are quite attractive. The J700 may be an entry-level unit, but that hasn't stopped it receiving the flashy treatment &$8212; a gloss finish adorns the front and rear, making the J700 look and feel like a much more expensive handset than it is. Unfortunately, the glossy design attracts fingerprints and is difficult to keep clean.
Despite the J700's small size, it feels reasonably well built. The controls and keypad are well designed — despite the latter being relatively flat, the keys are quite large and well spaced and the J700 is comfortable enough for SMS use. Our only complaint lies with the five-way navigational pad — it's a little small for our liking; we found ourselves accidentally pressing the centre button when aiming to press the directional controls.
The J700's display isn't going to win any awards: it's quite small and text isn't crisp or clear. Photos taken using the on-board camera aren't displayed very well. However, the display is good enough for the target market of this handset — it's important to keep in mind that this isn't a multimedia-focused handset.
The undoubted strength of the J700, apart from the compact and stylish design, is the speedy user interface. The clearly labelled menu with icons and the simple list format for sub-menus are very easy to grasp and they don't suffer from any noticeable keystroke lag.
The J700 is a regular tri-band GSM handset and it possesses decent, but not outstanding call quality. Despite its position in the low-end of the mobile market, it has a reasonable features list, headed by a 1.3-megapixel camera with self-portrait mirror. A basic media player supports MP3, AAC, AAC+ and MIDI files; the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack will hinder its use, as will the fact that you can't play your music in the background. The handset's 10MB of internal memory and microSD card slot should be enough for storage.
USB and Bluetooth connectivity are present; the latter includes the A2DP profile, meaning you can stream your music to a compatible set of wireless headphones. The J700 also features Java, an FM radio and a host of PIM features including an organiser, currency converter and voice recording.
Virgin Mobile offers the J700 for $179 on a pre-paid plan, or free on a Free to V 20 Cap over 24 months. The latter offers $140 included monthly credit for voice calls and SMS messages.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Google wants to solve the Android update problem once and for all with Project Treble
- Intel concerned about name of John McAfee’s privacy phone
- Low-cost Android phones to get iPhone features with new Qualcomm chips
- Qualcomm's Quick Charge 4 is coming in phones midyear
- Apple's next iPhones may cut corners on memory due to price squeeze
PCW Evaluation Team
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTFrontend developerNSW
- CCSharepoint Analyst / DeveloperQLD
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPSolution Architect - LIS ProgramQLD
- FTDatabase Engineer (Oracle)ACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSupport OfficerSA
- CCSSIS / SSRS DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- FTL&D ConsultantVIC
- FTUX ResearcherVIC
- CCOracle CCB DesignerVIC
- CCSenior Systems EngineerQLD
- TPNode.js DeveloperNSW
- FTTIBCO Support AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyVIC
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support - Microsoft Office 365 experienceNSW
- FTIteration ManagerQLD