- Looks incredible, easy to set up, sounds good
- Subwoofer a little lacking, could have a few more features
As far as wired systems go, this is one of the best on the market.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
It's tough these days to bring an innovative looking product to the market. With an increasingly competitive industry and hundreds of companies all trying to make an impact, the standard designs have been done to death. So when we cracked open Samsung's HT-P1200 we were very pleased to find a rather abstract looking system that is definitely a little different.
The four main speakers are all freestanding, and look great. Each speaker is covered by a black grille, giving them a very simple, elegant look. Every individual component is also marked with a silver circle shape. The sub is huge, and continues the simple black motif.
The receiver, rather than being a horizontally resting system, is an incredibly modern-looking, stand-based receiver and DVD player combo. It is black, backlit with blue LEDs, and bolts onto a stand similar to those used for the speakers. The DVD slot is hidden behind two semi-transparent panels that part when you push the eject button, and the volume is controlled with an iPod-like backlit wheel.
In a single sentence, it looks incredible. While we loved the design, it is also worth noting that for people who have very limited space, a DVD player that doesn't easily stack may not be the most practical system; however, both the speakers and receiver come with clear instructions for wall mounting.
The system was quite easy to set up, too. The speakers required no screws--they merely clip onto the base. The stand for the receiver required screws in several places, but we had it together in a few minutes. Setup took us about 15 minutes in total, which is remarkably fast for a wired home theatre system.
Unfortunately, Samsung has had to make some sacrifices to achieve this look. The receiver has a bare minimum of inputs, with a single set of AV connections, a single set of component connections, two digital audio connections and HDMI support.
The system produces excellent sound. All four main speakers produced crisp, rich highs and strong bass. The surround was particularly well implemented, with few other systems providing such an immersive experience. The only flaw we could find was that despite its size, the subwoofer didn't provide the powerful, rumbling bass we have come to expect from top-class systems.
The system has eight sound modes in total--four each for music and video--and they seem well implemented and with enough variation to please most listeners. It supports Dolby, DTS and Pro Logic I and II. We'd really like a system to step up and offer full equaliser settings, giving the audio enthusiasts something fully manual to play with. For the time being they will have to be content with the basic presets.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSystem Engineer - VMWare, UCS, NetAppVIC
- FTDesktop Support OfficerSA
- TPArcGIS DeveloperVIC
- CCSecurity Analyst - Large Federal DepartmentACT
- TPNode.js DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEQLD
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerVIC
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- FTProject Manager Large ICT Enabled Business Change ProjectQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTTechnology Project ManagerNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - Solutions and ApplicationsQLD
- CCVDI EngineerACT
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- TPSOE EngineerACT