Samsung HT-BD1255 home theatre system
This all-in-one Blu-ray home theatre system possesses good audio quality
- Good sound for a pre-built home theatre system, stylish, good iPod integration and features
- Occasional sound sync problems with DVDs, slightly expensive
If you’re looking for a simple yet feature-filled system to accompany a new flat-screen television, Samsung’s home theatre in a box does the trick nicely.
Price$ 1,599.00 (AUD)
The Samsung HT-BD1255 is a 5.1 surround sound home theatre system with an integrated Blu-ray disc player, an iPod dock, network connectivity and wireless rear speakers. It looks great and has well-rounded sound for a (comparatively) cheap system.
The Samsung HT-BD1255 arrives in a single large box, with all the components arranged Tetris-style. The combination Blu-ray player/amplifier is the first to come out. It’s an attractive unit, with a style similar to Samsung’s LED and plasma televisions. It has a slimline form factor, so it will fit into any space designed for a DVD player it.
The Samsung HT-BD1255 wireless rear speakers mean you won’t need to run cables around your living room, but you will want some spare power-points where you want to place them. The bundled subwoofer matches the styling of the speakers, with a piano black finish that looks stylish and modern.
Once you’ve placed all the speakers in appropriate parts of the room, it’s time to make all the connections to the receiver. All the appropriate speaker wire connectors are grouped together, with digital and analog audio inputs accompanying the main HDMI output. It’s quite a simple system to set up, lacking the masses of inputs and outputs of a full-scale AV receiver. The Samsung HT-BD1255 has the same price as the LG HB954WA home theatre system, which has a similar feature set, so it’s odd not to see any HDMI video inputs for connecting external set-top boxes.
The inclusion of a Blu-ray player means you don’t have to purchase an additional unit like the Samsung BD-P1600. When playing Blu-ray test material the picture quality was as good as any other players we’ve seen, with the Full HD 1080p output full of accurate colour and fine image detail. DVD sources were well up-scaled, but we did notice an incidence of DVD audio lagging behind the video. This was rectified by pausing and re-playing, and we didn’t notice it again, so it’s not a huge concern.
Sound quality is good for a pre-built ‘home theatre in a box’ system. The four tower speakers are crisp and deliver impressively defined treble and mid-range to very high volume levels, while the slimline centre speaker represents dialogue faithfully. The subwoofer is responsible for all lower-frequency sounds and while it often fills in mid-range sounds well for the thin floor-standing speakers, there’s a puzzling lack of lower bass. Overall, sound is well-rounded with no huge frequency gaps, but a little more thump from the subwoofer would have been appreciated.
We played a variety of music on DVD as well as via the integrated iPod dock, which accepted our Apple iPod touch 2G without any drama. Controlling the iPod was easy after a little instruction — the on-screen menu system is similar to that of a click-wheel iPod Classic or Nano. Network streaming of shared music from a PC is also possible if you have a large digital music collection.
Samsung’s HT-BD1255 Blu-ray home theatre is a capable system with no crippling flaws. The LG HB954WA offers slightly better value, but this is still a stylish and powerful pre-built home theatre.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- CCCyber Security Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- FTIT Support & System AdministratorNSW
- CCPega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPIT Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- FTPrincipal ConsultantOther
- FTMulesoft Solutions DesignerNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSAP Data AnalystOther
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Permanent PositionQLD
- CCITSM Integration Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPSenior Test Analyst - GIS DrupalNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTFinancial AdministratorOther
- CCAxway DeveloperQLD
- FTCyber Security Team LeadOther
- FTTechnical Operations ManagerOther
- FTTableau Application Support SpecialistOther