Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G Android tablet
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G review: Australia's first 4G tablet is handy, but no world beater
- 4G connectivity
- Excellent size and weight
- Good build quality
- 4G coverage currently limited
- Sluggish performance
- Too expensive
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G is Australia's first 4G tablet, offering impressive data speeds and a size and weight that we think is near perfect. However, Telstra's currently limited 4G coverage, a high price tag and some niggling software issues mean you should probably give the Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G a miss, at least for now.
Price$ 720.00 (AUD)
4G has only just taken off in Australia but Samsung was quick out of the blocks with the Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G, which earns the title of Australia's first 4G tablet. 4G speeds are very impressive but the currently limited 4G coverage, a high price tag and some other niggling issues mean you should probably give the Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G a miss. For now.
I want 4G and I want it now
The key feature of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G is obviously 4G connectivity (duh!). Like the 4G USB modem and the HTC Velocity 4G Android smartphone before it, the Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G runs on Telstra's new 4G network. It is best described as an LTE enablement of the company's Next G network. It runs on the LTE 1800MHz spectrum band but "switches across" to the Next G network when 4G coverage is not available.
As with any 4G device it's important to understand two things. First of all, 4G coverage is currently pretty limited. Telstra's 4G network is available in all eight capital cities (5km from GPO) and their respective airports in Australia, along with around 80 regional and metropolitan centres (3km from city centre). Unless you're using the Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G regularly in one of these coverage zones, the benefit of 4G connectivity will be minimal.
Secondly, the speeds you manage to achieve on the 4G network will depend on a number of factors including congestion, location and time. Given Telstra's 4G network is still in its infancy, however, congestion is currently minimal and that means extremely fast data speeds. To give you an idea, we managed to achieve download speeds of up to 38 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of almost 15Mbps on the Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G. While speed did tend to fluctuate our Galaxy Tab regularly achieved speeds of well over 10Mbps when in a 4G zone.
When you're not in a 4G network zone the Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G will simply fall back to Telstra's regular Next G network. Like HTC's Velocity 4G smartphone the Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G has dual channel HSPA+ connectivity, meaning 3G data speeds are likely to be faster than many phones and tablets currently on the market. Officially, Telstra quotes typical download speeds ranging from 1.1-20Mbps in a 3G zone, though as usual we found real world figures a solid 10Mbps on occasions.
As you can see, Telstra's 4G coverage in Sydney is fairly limited right now. The dark blue shade denotes an area where you will get 4G data speeds.
Next page: Design, display, software and more
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- HP rolls out patch to fix keylogging bug in certain laptops
- Some HP PCs are recording your keystrokes
- Rumor suggests the Note8 will be a bigger S8+ that adds a missing feature
PCW Evaluation Team
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPPrincipal Data Analyst | ArcGIS | Power BI | QlikQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Dept of CommunitiesQLD
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment and Trading PlatformNSW
- FTTest CoordinatorACT
- FTSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTSenior IT Project ManagerSA
- CCTechnical Specialist - Cloud ServicesVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- FTProject Manager or Coordinator - Retail Store ProjectsNSW
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerACT
- TPSenior Business Systems AnalystQLD
- FTHCM Project Manager & Service Implementation Manager - SAP HRNSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- FTProject Manager - Accountin Finance and AssetWA
- FTSenior Activations Performance Analyst | $700pdVIC
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTSenior SAP Project ManagerACT
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- TPMS Access/SQL DBAQLD
- FTSenior Software Developer (x3)WA
- FTPrincipal Project ManagerVIC