Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Android tablet (preview)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 preview: Samsung's first Ice Cream Sandwich tablet
- Compact and lightweight
- 3G connectivity
- Android 4.0 out of box
- Rather underwhelming specs
- No AMOLED display
- No Australian release confirmed
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is the company's entry-level, inexpensive Android tablet, and an update to the original Galaxy Tab. It comes with Android 4.0 out of the box and has 3G connectivity, but on first glance its specs are rather underwhelming. If it's aggressively priced, however, it could prove to be a great entry level tablet.
Samsung has seen fit to update its first Android tablet (the original Galaxy Tab) with a new model, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. It's a 7in Android tablet and is the company's first to run Google's latest Ice Cream Sandwich version of Android out of the box.
Samsung's tablet strategy is definitely one of the more overwhelming in the market. If you need a brief rundown, the company started off with a 7in Android tablet, then released a 10.1in, then revised that 10.1in to be thinner and lighter than the first, then brought out an 8.9in model, and then a slightly bigger 7.7in device. To top it all off, the company recently released the Galaxy Note, a 5.3in half tablet, half smartphone. Confused yet? We certainly are.
Officially, Samsung clarifies its many different sized tablets as "expanding the choice of tablets to customers". JK Shin, the company's president, is quoted in the media release of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 saying that "two years ago, Samsung Galaxy Tab began to offer customers more possibilities on the go. Since then, Samsung has actively enhanced our tablet line-up with several tablets in different sizes." We're not so sure that consumers really need a 7in, a 7.7in and then an 8.9in tablet: to us that promotes confusion rather than choice.
If you're confused, take note that Samsung has clearly intended the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to be an entry-level, inexpensive model. Firstly, it has a regular LCD with a resolution of 1024x600 so it lacks the brighter, AMOLED screens that come with the company's other sized models. The Galaxy Tab 2 also has a rather underwhelming set of specifications: the tablet is powered by a 1GHz dual-core processor, has 1GB of RAM and only a 3-megapixel rear camera, with a basic VGA snapper on the front.
Like the original Galaxy Tab, perhaps the best inclusion on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is 3G connectivity via a SIM card slot. The tablet supports the 900MHZ and 2100MHz 3G bands, but not the 850MHz band used by Telstra's 3G network in Australia. It's always possible Samsung could produce an 850MHz model suited to Telstra (as it did with the original Galaxy Tab) but this remains to be seen.
The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 comes with Google's latest 4.0 version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, and runs Samsung's TouchWiz UX overlay on top. The usual array of Samsung apps and services are all included — Music Hub, Readers Hub, Game Hub — and the company has also introduced a new app called Video Hub. It offers over 1000 films for purchase or rent, and provides reviews, trailers and recommendations for these films. Samsung hasn't confirmed whether the Video Hub service will be available in Australia.
Samsung hasn't announced if or when the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 will launch in Australia. The tablet will first launch in the UK next month, but pricing details have yet to be revealed. Considering the specifications, we can only hope Samsung will price the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 aggressively.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTTechnical Support - Level 1 - Minchinbury NSWOther
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTSenior Security ConsultantNSW
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerOther
- FTAgile Business Analyst, CXOther
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCMS Dynamics Technical Consultant - 6 month contract Initially - SydneyNSW
- CCTRIM Support OfficerWA
- FTWireless Solution Architect - 6mth ContractOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTScrum MasterOther
- CCIntegration Specialist-Tibco & MulesoftNSW
- FTSCCM consultantVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - ISO9001ACT
- FTRelease Manager- IT SAP ERP/EAM environmentsOther
- FTProfessional Services Consultant - UCMOther
- FTEnterprise Software/Product Sales ManagerVIC
- FTProject Manager | Intelligent Transport Software DeliveryOther
- FTUX Designer | 9mth ContractOther
- FTEnterprise Software/Product Sales ManagerVIC