Samsung E1130 mobile phone
The Samsung E1130 is water and dust resistant and features a durable plastic casing that has been manufactured to withstand poor treatment.
- Rugged plastic case, dust and water resistant, FM radio, ease of use
- Tiny display, proprietary charging/headphone jack, no 3G
Samsung's E1130 mobile phone is as basic as they come, but if you're looking for a cheap as chips, second phone for work it should be adequate for the job.
Price$ 69.00 (AUD)
Designed for users with an "active lifestyle", the basic Samsung E1130 mobile phone is ideal for tradespeople, or for use as a secondary, inexpensive phone. Samsung’s E1130 is water and dust resistant and features a durable plastic casing that has been manufactured to withstand poor treatment.
Next to the latest and greatest touch screen smartphones, the Samsung E1130 looks quite outdated. Like most ruggedised phones, including the Telstra Tough T90 and Samsung's own B2700, the E1130's style won't appeal to those looking to make a splash in the fashion stakes, but this isn't the design intention. The Samsung E1130's rock hard black and orange casing is capable of resisting some very harsh punishment — we dropped it on concrete, tiles and floorboards and it came though unscathed.
The Samsung E1130 mobile phone is IP54 rated for dust and water resistance; although keep in mind it's designed to withstand being splashed with water, not taken for a swim when you're at the beach. We held it under a running tap for a few seconds and it worked without any issues, so this is definitely a mobile you won't have to handle with kid gloves.
A downside to the Samsung E1130 is its tiny display — this is one of the smallest screens we've seen on a mobile phone. In our tests it was fine for basic messaging and calling tasks (which is all it's been designed for), but the E1130 is hard to see in direct sunlight and it has poor viewing angles, so using it outdoors can be problematic. Below the screen is a basic five-way navigational pad, two selection keys as well as answer and end call keys. The keypad has a bright blue backlight and the raised keys click reassuringly when pressed, but it's an oversight that there’s no backlight for the navigational pad and selection buttons.
The Samsung E1130's key feature is its rugged design, so it isn't a surprise to learn that there is not much else on offer. The phone lacks 3G capabilities and offers no features of note aside from an FM radio, a top mounted torch and basic PIM functions such as an alarm, a world clock, voice recorder and calendar. The E1130's user interface is as basic as they come and it’s almost a step back into the time when Nokia ruled the mobile world — a simple 3 x 3 grid layout for the main menu with list-style submenus — nonetheless it is easy to use and navigate.
The Samsung E1130 offer an amusing feature too, Samsung's fake call application — surprising on a no frills phone. Holding down on the navigational pad activates this function, which simulates a phone call and plays back a pre-recorded voice message when answered. It’s handy and may help you get out of awkward situations such as a blind date gone awry, or an overly long meeting.
Disappointingly the Samsung E1130 uses a proprietary headphone and charging connector, though this isn't a deal breaker as the E1130 isn't a phone you'll connect to your PC very often.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook: Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Monster Hunter World review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTTechnical Lead | .Net | FintechOther
- FTContract Obligations Manager - Telco - 2 year Max Term - Nth SydneyNSW
- TPSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- FTProject Manager - ERP implementationOther
- FTAngularJS DeveloperOther
- CCBusiness Financial AnalystQLD
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTDigital Content ProducerOther
- FTGlobal Product ManagerOther
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- TPProgram ManagerACT
- FTDNS Security SpecialistOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTCustomer Success ManagerOther
- FTNetwork Support Engineer - Level 2/3NSW
- TPCyber Security SpecialistQLD
- FTChange Manager OCMOther
- FTQA EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork Architect - Brisbane/PerthOther
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- CCPython DeveloperVIC
- FTAWS AdministratorNSW