A 3.6Mbps HSDPA-capable mobile phone exclusive to Telstra's Next G network.
- Gloss black finish, light, comfortable keypad and controls, good value for money
- Fingerprint magnet, screen difficult to see in sunlight, interface a little slow
Samsung's C5220 certainly represents good value for money. It's not a mobile phone that will blow you away in terms of features, but this is a solid package that should serve most users well.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
A stylish flip mobile phone available exclusively on Telstra's Next G network, the prepaid Samsung C5220 certainly looks impressive. This mobile phone is also Blue Tick rated, meaning it is recommended for use in rural and regional areas of Australia.
A successor to the Samsung A411 mobile phone, the C5220 has a standard flip design. The exterior is finished in gloss black plastic (the phone is also available in a wine red colour). The front of the Samsung C5220 mobile phone features a mirror-style surface — it looks attractive but is almost impossible to keep clean as it collects plenty of fingerprints. A handy external display shows the clock, as well as caller ID information.
Flipped open, the mirrored finish continues and surrounds the internal display and keypad. It certainly helps give the mobile phone a sense of quality. However, the glossy nature of the screen does have its negatives — under florescent lighting and in bright sunlight, the reflection off the display makes it almost impossible to see at times.
The Samsung C5220's keys are quite flat, though they are large and well spaced, so they're easy to press. A five-way pad handles most menu navigation. The interface is easy to grasp and it uses a familiar 3x4 grid of icons for the main menu and a simple list format for submenus, so it shouldn’t pose too many problems. Unfortunately, the interface is a little slow. Slight keystroke lag is evident when quickly typing text messages or scrolling through menus.
The Samsung C5220 is an HSDPA-capable mobile phone and supports a maximum download speed of 3.6Mbps. As this is a Telstra Next G handset, it provides access to a wide range of content including BigPond TV, Mobile Foxtel and various news and weather coverage; keep in mind, however, that these are all subscription services and cost extra. The included Web browser is handy but it doesn’t render pages particularly well on the small display. You'll also need to ensure you attach a data pack to your prepaid plan, as mobile browsing costs are expensive.
The Samsung C5220 includes an MP3 player and a microSD card slot for extra storage, but the lack of A2DP Bluetooth or a regular 3.5mm headphone jack is disappointing. Rounding out the package is a 1.3-megapixel camera on the front for photos, a VGA camera inside for video calling and a reasonable number of PIM features consisting of alarms, calendar, memos, tasks, a calculator, a voice recorder, stopwatch and world clock.
Telstra exclusively offers the Samsung C5220 for $199 outright on its Next G network. You can also select one of four prepaid offers that include extras like free talk and text to any Australian network, one cent text messages to other Telstra mobiles, bonus talk time and longer credit expiry periods. For more information about these offers, see Telstra's online prepaid mobile store.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProgram Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- CCPortfolio / Project Coordinator - BrisbaneVIC
- CCInfrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCFront-end DeveloperNSW
- FTResource Coordinator - $71 phOther
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityACT
- FTCyber Security AnalystOther
- CCKnowledge Analyst (Digital Content)NSW
- FTNetwork Operator - Order Support CentreOther
- CCRequirements AnalystACT
- FTProject ManagerOther
- CCMaximo Developer - Telco ClientVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- TPIT Storage EngineerVIC
- CCLead Developer - BrisbaneNSW
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTMid-Level Drupal DeveloperQLD
- CCProject Manager - Multiple Roles - TelcoVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - Health PASQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Storage Specialist - NetApp Storage and Cisco IP-SANVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- CCFront End Web DevelopersACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst (IAM & Cyber Security)Other
- CCDrupal DeveloperNSW