The Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player has a great DVD upscaler and decent pricing.
- Excellent DVD upscaling and Blu-ray playback quality, BD-Live connectivity
- Takes a while to load a Blu-ray disc
If you're after good quality Blu-ray visuals and excellent DVD upscaling, the Samsung BD-P1500 is a good choice.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
We've recently looked at a range of attractive entry-level Blu-ray players, including the Kogan Technologies Blu-ray Player Full HD 1080P and the LG BD300. The Samsung BD-P1500 is another budget Blu-ray player, and it delivers excellent image quality, even when playing upscaled DVDs.
It also has an inoffensive design that won't stand out when placed with other home theatre devices.
We teamed the Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player with a 46in Sharp LC-46D85X, and when Blu-ray discs were played the quality was excellent, with sharp details and natural skin tones. Motion was handled well, with every dark killer wave in The Guardian coming through with menacing clarity. Starting up the unit took 42sec.
What was even more impressive than Blu-ray playback, however, was the excellent DVD upscaling. Even on our large LCD panel the lobby scene from The Matrix looked great. Artefacts were virtually nonexistent, while jagged edges were rare. If you've had to stomach the painful picture quality produced by standard DVD players when connected to a big television, the Samsung BD-P1500 will seem like a gift from above; it offers better upscaling than any of the Blu-ray players at this price point that we've reviewed.
The Samsung BD-P1500 has a HDMI 1.3 output that can send 1080p images and 7.1-channel audio to compatible TVs and amplifiers. A stereo analog output and composite video output are provided, as is a digital optical audio output for connecting to audio streamers. A single Ethernet port in the back provides the capability to use BD-Live content, as long as the player is connected to the Internet and running a BD-Live disc.
The Blu-ray player supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS and DTS True HD.
For users wanting a great image from both Blu-ray discs and DVDs, the Samsung BD-P1500 offers solid value for a decent price.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness Analyst | Gold CoastQLD
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)SA
- CCJava Full stack developer - Telco domainVIC
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD
- TPProject OfficerVIC
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTSystems AdministratorOther
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTAgile Project ManagerOther
- FTSolutions Architect - Digital/WealthOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCGIS ESRI DeveloperWA
- TPDelivery Lead - IT Services Function - Day rateNSW
- CCSenior Application SpecialistNSW
- FTManager, Digital DeliveryOther
- FTSplunk Engineer - starting next yearACT
- FTSAP PSCD Analyst and PSCD FunctionalistOther
- CCIT Specialist - System ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Telecommunications RiggerSA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Risk and Compliance StreamOther
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- FTTechnical/ Architecture Java LeadVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantNSW