The Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player has a great DVD upscaler and decent pricing.
- Excellent DVD upscaling and Blu-ray playback quality, BD-Live connectivity
- Takes a while to load a Blu-ray disc
If you're after good quality Blu-ray visuals and excellent DVD upscaling, the Samsung BD-P1500 is a good choice.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
We've recently looked at a range of attractive entry-level Blu-ray players, including the Kogan Technologies Blu-ray Player Full HD 1080P and the LG BD300. The Samsung BD-P1500 is another budget Blu-ray player, and it delivers excellent image quality, even when playing upscaled DVDs.
It also has an inoffensive design that won't stand out when placed with other home theatre devices.
We teamed the Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player with a 46in Sharp LC-46D85X, and when Blu-ray discs were played the quality was excellent, with sharp details and natural skin tones. Motion was handled well, with every dark killer wave in The Guardian coming through with menacing clarity. Starting up the unit took 42sec.
What was even more impressive than Blu-ray playback, however, was the excellent DVD upscaling. Even on our large LCD panel the lobby scene from The Matrix looked great. Artefacts were virtually nonexistent, while jagged edges were rare. If you've had to stomach the painful picture quality produced by standard DVD players when connected to a big television, the Samsung BD-P1500 will seem like a gift from above; it offers better upscaling than any of the Blu-ray players at this price point that we've reviewed.
The Samsung BD-P1500 has a HDMI 1.3 output that can send 1080p images and 7.1-channel audio to compatible TVs and amplifiers. A stereo analog output and composite video output are provided, as is a digital optical audio output for connecting to audio streamers. A single Ethernet port in the back provides the capability to use BD-Live content, as long as the player is connected to the Internet and running a BD-Live disc.
The Blu-ray player supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS and DTS True HD.
For users wanting a great image from both Blu-ray discs and DVDs, the Samsung BD-P1500 offers solid value for a decent price.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperWA
- TPProject Manager - Network, Security and Wi-FiQLD
- FTApplication Support AnalystNSW
- CCSystem AdministratorNSW
- CCMainframe DeveloperWA
- FTCRM DeveloperACT
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- FTIT Asset Management AnalystOther
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTNon - functional Test LeadVIC
- TPChange ManagerNSW
- FTTM1 DeveloperOther
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneNSW
- FTIT Sales ManagerVIC
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- CCDesktop Support Analyst / EngineerNSW
- FTSystem Analyst - Wifi TechnologiesOther
- FTBusiness Process AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Support - Level 1 - Minchinbury NSWOther
- FTJava Application developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTTest Specialist - Automation ToolsQLD
- FTProject ManagerSA