- Good colour range, S-PVA means wide viewing angles
- Not many adjustment controls, expensive
The Samsung 305T offers excellent, professional build quality and comes with four USB ports and an ergonomic height-adjustable stand. With an RRP of $2299.95 this is certainly a pricey peripheral, but if you search around you can find it on sale for less than $2000, which then compares favourably with 30in competitors from Dell and Apple. Hazro's model costs a lot less, but comes without the height adjustable stand or USB ports.
Price$ 2,299.95 (AUD)
Samsung's 305T joins the small but select group of huge 30in widescreen monitors — a well-made high-quality panel with excellent colour reproduction.
Stepping up to 30 inches involves more than just a leap in screen size and pixel resolution. The Samsung 305T, like all other similarly sized TFT displays, is a rather different beast to many of the 22in or 24in monitors you may be used to.
Although aimed at serious professional use by discerning users, the Samsung 305T is actually a far simpler product than you might expect.
First of all there is a distinct lack of control buttons: other than the power switch, all you get is a pair of buttons to control the screen brightness. There's also no menu button because the Samsung 305T doesn't provide any sort of on-screen menu.
There are no options to adjust colour or contrast and there's no way to switch inputs because the monitor uses only a single dual-link DVI-D connector — which also means you'll need a similarly equipped graphics card to run the Samsung 305T at its native 2,560 by 1600 pixel resolution.
Thankfully most modern graphics cards capable of driving the Samsung 305T also have drivers which allow screen adjustments to be carried out in software using an interface from the Windows control panel.
With a screen area of this size, you may find the Samsung 305T tempting for multimedia use, but for that we would recommend stepping down to the 27in model, which includes an HDMI interface and is still capable of displaying a full 1080p HD resolution.
However, the Samsung 305T brings more to the table than size. Most consumer-grade flat-panels use TN+film technology, which, although available at some temptingly low prices, has severe limitations in terms of viewing angles and colour reproduction. This display, however, is the flagship model in a range of monitors using a more expensive S-PVA technology.
S-PVA offers far wider viewing angles than TN+film, which means that colours don't shift as your head moves around — a common problem with the lower-cost technology.
The Samsung 305T claims to be able to display a colour range covering 102 per cent of the NTSC gamut, which is far in excess of the capabilities of standard displays and our tests confirmed that it can indeed produce a very wide range of colours although not quite as wide as Hazro's competing HZ30W.
This means if you're seriously into photo editing or digital illustration you'll be able to reproduce real-world colours more accurately on-screen.
However, Windows doesn't expect this kind of colour capability by default so it's important to install the correct driver, or better still calibrate the Samsung 305T with a hardware device to achieve best results.
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPEnterprise/Service Architect - Service Management ExperienceQLD
- FTContinuous Improvement - Lean ConsultantOther
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other
- FTSecurity EngineerOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Transition Manager (Permanent)Other
- FTJava Developer (Axway API)Other
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSystems EngineerWA
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTSystems EngineerOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystsACT
- CCAgile Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager | Process & SystemsQLD
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTFull Stack Java Developer with front-end focusOther
- TPSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Account ManagerACT
- FTSenior Transition Project ManagerOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCMid - Level Dynamics CRM Functional Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- CCSystem Administrator (TRIM) - BrisbaneVIC
- TPSnr SQL DBAQLD