Sage Plc Simply Accounting Basic
Added capabilities make this version a worthwhile upgrade for existing Simply Basic users
- Integration with Microsoft Office, powerful tools, Very inexpensive
- None to speak of
If you have a small business and are looking for an accounting solution, this package packs a punch.
Price$ 65.00 (AUD)
Don't be fooled by the price tag on the 2006 version of Simply Accounting Basic. This updated small-business accounting application from Sage Software (formerly Best Software) offers a lot more bang for your bookkeeping buck than its chief rivals do.
The new version makes it easier to design custom accounting forms and features better integration with Microsoft Office than previous versions. It has strong capabilities for such an inexpensive program, including support for dual currencies--useful in import/export businesses.
The Basic version lets you synchronize customer and vendor records with Microsoft Outlook contacts, formerly possible only with the Pro version. You can also use MS Word templates to prepare customer form letters, and you can create financial reports in MS Excel. Simply Basic stores accounting data in an MS Access database. The application has most but not all of the MS Office integration smarts found in Microsoft Office Small Business Accounting 2006, so it's a credible alternative with a much lower price.
Simply Accounting Basic's redesigned Home Window is easier to use than the previous version's, with better menus for access to the program's general ledger, customer, vendor, employee, inventory, and project-tracking capabilities.
An improved wizard provides more help with setting up a new company. Checks are easier to align for printing. There's even a little eye candy: You can now display JPG and GIF images of your products and services.
A larger payroll-check window enhances your view of income and deduction fields. If you use Simply Basic to prepare payroll, for efficiency's sake you should consider subscribing to the optional payroll tax table update.
The shipping copy of Simply Accounting Basic 13 that we reviewed is a single-user application developed to handle entry-level business accounting needs. Sage also offers more-powerful (and pricier) versions of Simply Accounting with multiuser capabilities, but we didn't review these packages.
If you're currently using a spreadsheet (such as Excel) or a personal finance application (such as Quicken) to track business finances, you'll discover that Simply Accounting Basic represents a logical step up from what you work with now. Its improved import/export wizard simplifies importing data from Excel, Quicken, QuickBooks, and MYOB.
Simply Accounting Basic will undoubtedly attract the bargain-hunting bean counters who tend to each bean vigilantly. Its features compare most closely with those of Intuit's QuickBooks Pro edition, which costs four times as much as Simply Basic. QuickBooks' entry-level Simple Start costs twice as much and delivers far less accounting power.
The added capabilities make this version a worthwhile upgrade for existing Simply Basic users, while the low price will tempt some Intuit users to switch allegiance.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTEPMO Support AnalystWA
- CCSAP Fiori + UI5 ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- CCSecurity Business AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational Performance ReportingOther
- FT.Net Developer - URGENTOther
- FTSystems SpecialistSA
- FTOpenText ConsultantVIC
- FTApplication/Systems Support AnalystOther
- TPICT Project ManagerWA
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- FTERP Support SpecialistVIC
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- CCUX Designer - Full StackNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperNSW
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - CMS / DMSOther
- FTUNIX Systems AdministratorOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTSOE ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Technical Delivery ManagerACT
- FTReporting AnalystQLD
- FTNetwork AdministratorNSW