Roxio BackOnTrack 3.0
- Easy to use, encrypts backups, enhanced recovery tool
- Fairly standard File Backup
The capabilities of this suite are pretty impressive, especially the enhanced system recovery tool, which offers much more control than the utilities built into Windows. There's a slightly stripped down version that's around $50 cheaper but, as this consists only of File Backup and Disaster Recovery, it is genuinely less useful.
Price$ 89.99 (AUD)
Backing up may be hard to do, to paraphrase Neil Sedaka, but Roxio's BackOnTrack aims to ensure that you have all the tools you need to save your data in the event of disaster. It's true that Microsoft's NTFS file system does a much better job of maintaining the integrity of data on your hard drive these days, meaning system crashes are becoming much rarer, but if you need more than System Restore to protect your files, this will do the job.
There are three components to BackOnTrack: Instant Restore (a beefed-up version of Windows System Restore); File Backup (to preserve individual documents); and Disaster Recovery. Instant Restore is likely to be the most valuable as it can return your PC to an earlier state with a single mouse-click. One virtue of this over System Restore is that it can work if Windows crashes, even without a boot disk.
File Backup is fairly standard, but simple to use, providing the ability to specify individual documents and folders to back up to an external device. Backups can be scheduled and allocated to categories (such as photos or music). A useful addition is the ability to encrypt backups.
Disaster Recovery uses disk-imaging technology to create a backup of the entire PC which, as with alternatives such as True Image and Ghost, can back up and restore without requiring a system restart.
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- JBL take smart speakers back to the living room Link 300
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTL2 Security Network EngineerNSW
- CCPortal DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Manager (Telco) - Mid-LevelVIC
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCScrum Master - Online DigitalVIC
- FTPrincipal Solution Architect ? Healthcare InfrastructureQLD
- FTNetezza Developer - Brisbane locationOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTField Services EngineerOther
- CCFull Stack Web DeveloperQLD
- CCICT Procurement SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaOther
- CCOffice 365 Solution DesignerQLD
- CCDrupal DeveloperNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- TPSecurity Analyst/AdvisorWA
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- CCAcceptance TesterNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer (Urgent)Other
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystACT
- FTERP Technical Analyst - PeoplesoftOther
- CCOracle Service Bus DeveloperNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperOther