Roku SoundBridge M1000
- Stylish industrial design, outstanding functionality
- Display can be hard to read from a distance
Universal plug and play support, wireless and wired networking, and both analogue and digital outputs combine to make the Roku SoundBridge M1000 a top-notch network music player.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Roku's SoundBridge M1000 is a snazzy piece of industrial design, built for piping digital audio from a PC (or Internet connection), to a home stereo. The M1000 itself is an aluminium cylinder 24.5cm long, and 6cm in diameter. Part of the cylinder is cut away at the front to house a VFD (vacuum fluorescent display) and infrared sensor, and plastic caps at each end hide cable and network connections.
It has an unusual shape, but the Roku looks great and works beautifully, with neat cable routing straight from the plastic end caps to the rear of the device. It also ships with a small rubber stand to help keep it from rolling around on a shelf, but the cylindrical design means it can sit with the display at any angle. Clever.
The right side has gold-plated RCA audio connectors, along with S/PDIF and coaxial digital outputs. The left conceals an Ethernet socket and CompactFlash slot that can be used to house a bundled 802.11b wireless network card if you'd rather go wireless. It should be noted that, at the time of writing, Roku was planning on updating the SoundBridge M1000, and the new model (the M1001) features integrated wireless support, fixed end caps and cable routing from the rear of the machine.
The Roku device doesn't ship with any software. However, it offers UPnP (universal plug and play) connectivity and is supported by Windows Media Connect, MusicMatch, and Windows Media Player. Roku has also taken the step of licensing the device to work with iTunes. These are hands down the most popular players on the market today, and the company has done a great job of getting the machine to work with them straight out of the box. You can browse the music databases stored on a PC (or Mac), and even search by keyword to help find tracks quickly.
Its elegant interface makes ample use of the two-line display. Though the user can scale the font size, the only real criticism we had during testing is that the display is hard to read from a distance. (Roku also offers a SoundBridge M2000, which features a display roughly double the size of the M1000, but it's more than double the price.)
The M1000 supports most common audio formats (WMA, AAC, MP3, WAV and AIFF), and will even play back DRM-enabled Windows Media 10 files. An AAC decoder is built into hardware, and the unit will pick up Internet radio stations. The bundled black plastic remote control is used to drive the machine, and the 14cm display offers plenty of detail on what's playing. A number of different display modes are available, and the unit can even be set to show visualisations while playing music.
Sound quality is outstanding, thanks to the gold-plated RCA connectors and digital outputs, and we found no playback glitches during testing. Roku has designed a simple, efficient device for piping music from a PC to a home stereo system. It looks good, is easy use, sounds fantastic and ships with a one-year warranty.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesOther
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- FTSenior Big Data Engineer | Media DataOther
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTManager - Program Management Office (PMO)Other
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- FTJunior Java developer. Work Location - CanberraOther
- CCEUS Junior Application Project ManagerNSW
- FTSales AssociateACT
- TPJava DeveloperNSW
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Agile Test AnalystOther
- FTPenetration TesterOther
- FTApplication Tester & Quality Assurance AnalystOther
- FTService Desk Analyst - Level 1 SupportQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Investment FundsNSW
- FTSAP ICT TrainerOther
- FTPresales Solution Architect - NetworksNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyNSW
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTSenior Security Analyst - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTMaster Agent - Key Sunshine Coast territoryQLD
- FTWorkforce AnalystOther
- FTResource AnalystOther