Ricoh Australia Vivitar DVR-390H
- Clunky OS, poor recorded video quality
We wanted so much to like the DVR-390H, but can't help feeling it's a jack of all trades and master of none.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
The DVR-390H is a portable device with a 20GB hard disk and large (3.6") colour LCD that connects to a PC using USB 2.0. It can operate as a still camera, video camera, MP3 and video player, as well as a direct TV/video and voice/audio recorder, digital photo frame plus regular portable hard disk.
It takes three megapixel photos at resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 in JPG format. It uses a detachable, 270 degree fixed-focus swivel lens. There's a 10 second delay timer, built-in flash and red-eye reduction, white balance options and more.
The DVR-390H can make camcorder-style or direct-from-TV video recordings (the latter uses the bundled AV cradle). Videos can be captured at either 320 x 240 (for device playback) or 640 x 480 pixels (for TV output playback) with MPEG-4 compression. Oddly, the file format for this is ASF. For audio, the Vivitar records in uncompressed PCM.
The DVR-390H has an integrated SD card reader, mono speaker and special connection for use with the supplied lapel microphone. Bundled software includes PhotoSuite, WinDVD Creator and muvee autoProducer.
When we tested it, the OS of the device was clunky and navigation isn't as easy as it should be. The navigation joystick felt like it could break off, and the camera attachment was a little flimsy. Video playback was mostly OK, but was prone to occasional skipping, and the display had a limited viewable angle.
Camcorder-style recorded video suffered from intermittent vertical banding and video output didn't seem to take overscan into account, causing some on-screen graphics such as menus to go over the edges.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- FTOffice 365 Technical SpecialistOther
- FTSenior .Net Developer - Federal GovernmentOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPAPS 6 Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior ArchitectACT
- CCProcess Specialist-Lean Six SigmaNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- CCSenior .NET Engineer - Back-EndNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTSAP Developers (SAP CRM, PSCD, HANA, UI5)Other
- FTProject Coordinator - SAED/TelcoNSW
- FTMobile Application/ .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTDigital Marketing AnalystNSW
- FTPega / BPM DevelopersACT
- CCIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTChange Manager (Organisational)Other
- FTProject CoordinatorACT
- FTMarketing Executive - Digital, Direct and Customer MarketingOther
- CCLean Six Sigma Black Belt ? 6 month contractVIC
- CCLead Service Designer - CANBERRA BASEDNSW