Ricoh Australia Caplio GX8
- Detailed macro mode, interesting picture quality settings
- Poor quality LCD, difficult software
Ricoh has come up with a groundbreaking compact camera that we're sure will have many of you reaching for your chequebooks. It's not pretty or fun, but it's excellent value. Bear in mind that you'll need a capacious SD card.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The main reason you'll want to get your hands on the Caplio GX8 is the number of pixels it packs--8.2 megapixels for just $799!
However, while the GX8 does what it says on the packaging, the execution is pedestrian. It has a rough exterior and black plastic buttons, and onscreen navigation is a bit backward. Rather than specifying the megapixel level you want, you select, say, NC3244, which equates to the excellent uncompressed 3224 x 2448 TIFF image setting. This shouldn't be confused with the F3264 setting, which takes shots as a less impressive, compressed JPEG image.
The powerful macro mode locks in on a subject as little as a centimetre away, so you can capture really fine detail. However, the LCD screen is small (1.8"), dark and not that hot at previewing colours accurately.
The GX8 powers up in less than a second and the continuous shooting mode is very fast--up to 16 shots in two seconds. In regular shooting mode, Ricoh claims a shot delay of less than 1.7 seconds and a shutter delay of 0.1 seconds. We weren't convinced by the scene mode, which optimises shots according to the lighting conditions you've specified, but you can program in your own settings.
The GX8 comes with only 26MB of internal memory, and it supports expansion using SD or MMC flash memory. It has a hot shoe, with which you can attach an external flash to use instead of using the inbuilt one. It also supports AA batteries or a rechargeable lithium ion battery.
Unfortunately, the supplied software for transferring photos to a PC isn't incredibly easy to use.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Panasonic Announces LUMIX DC-GH5 Firmware Update Service
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTLead Land Access Coordinator - UrgentOther
- FTAgile Business Analyst, MarketingOther
- FTOracle DeveloperVIC
- CCSalesforce Technical ArchitectNSW
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSenior Consultant - DevOpsOther
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)VIC
- CCAutomation Test Analysts x4ACT
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCTraining Co-OrdinatorNSW
- CCMultiple Xamarin DevelopersVIC
- FTTest Engineer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- FTIT Senior Change AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Java EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Unica DeveloperOther
- CCLevel 1 Service DeskACT
- TPProject Manager & Business Analyst - eDRMS - 18+ month ContractQLD
- FTNetwork Support Engineer x2Other
- FTScrum Master / Senior Business AnalystOther
- TPProject Officer. 6 month contract. Program AdministrationNSW
- TPTechnical Support Officer (Unix/Linux, Windows and Mac)VIC