Revo Blok iPod dock
This stylish iPod dock has good sound quality and a great design
- Great design and build quality, good sound quality, great remote control
- Not officially compatible with iPhone
The Revo Blok is a stylish iPod dock with a great design and good speakers. If you're looking for an attractive iPod speaker for your bedroom or living room, the Revo Blok is hard to pass up.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Revo Blok iPod dock has full-range stereo speakers that output a smooth and pleasant sound which isn't especially clear in treble but has detailed and rich mid-range and bass. The model we tested had a beautiful woodgrain finish and exacting build quality.
We think it's been a great year for product designs — we've seen award-winning devices like the Creative Aurvana Air, as well as well-designed local products like the OXX Digital Classic DAB+ digital radio. The Revo Blok is another great example of modern design: its woodgrain finish is smooth to the touch yet full of detail. Dark silver plastic accents break up the design, with the exposed 4.5in speaker drivers finished in charcoal grey. With the iPod dock, volume dial and power button mounted on the top of the unit the Revo Blok is easy to operate; just plug your iPod in, hit the power button and music starts playing. All features can be accessed through the brilliant rotary volume control.
There's really not much to talk about apart from the Revo Blok's sound quality — it's a very simple unit. It doesn't officially support the iPhone, but our test unit charged fine and we didn't have any problems playing audio. Every model of dock-connecting iPod is supported.
We tested the system by playing a few Apple Lossless audio files through an iPhone, as well as some FLAC and MP3 audio from a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 netbook through the Blok's auxiliary 3.5mm connector. What quickly became apparent is the Revo Blok's ability to emit room-filling sound with a pleasant timbre. The 4.5in drivers do not extend particularly high into treble frequencies and the result is a system that can sound 'capped', with higher frequencies occasionally distant and muted. This is tempered by the Blok's mid-range performance, however. There was a great amount of detail in the male vocals and acoustic guitar we listened to.
The rear-firing bass port works best when the iPod dock is placed within a foot of a wall, and if you've got it set up in the right location the end result is impressive. The bass that the Revo Blok produces doesn't extend very deep, but it is pronounced without becoming boomy or expansive. It adds a definite extra element compared to similar sized iPod docks such as the Kogan Digital Radio, which sometimes sound tinny.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTDealing Room Support Analyst - IPC voiceNSW
- CCSenior Solution AnalystVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTManager, DevOpsQLD
- CCCloud Architect - AzureVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTSupport Engineer Level 3QLD
- TPReporting DeveloperWA
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- TPSQL Database AdministratorNSW
- FTTeam Leader Solution DeliveryQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Dept of CommunitiesQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCProgram ManagerVIC
- TPPrincipal Portfolio Officer - One Month Contract - DSITIQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTManager - Commercial ClientsACT
- FTTRIM TrainersACT
- FTSenior Procurement Specialist | 3mth ContractVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support - Microsoft Office 365 experienceNSW