BlackBerry Curve 8310
- Style and design, trackball and keyboard, ease of use, built-in GPS, Vodafone Compass software
- No 3G, no Wi-Fi, GPS data sometimes sluggish over GSM network
The BlackBerry Curve 8310 adds GPS to an already enticing unit. Its only real drawbacks are the lack of Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
An upgrade to the Blackberry Curve 8300, the 8310 adds built-in GPS to an already excellent smartphone. Exclusively available on the Vodafone network in Australia, the Curve 8310 also comes packaged with Vodafone's own GPS solution, Vodafone Compass.
The Curve 8310 is RIM's second unit to feature built-in GPS in Australia -- the first was the BlackBerry 8800. The 8310 offers virtually the same functions as the 8800, but in a smaller, and far more stylish handset.
Despite its design and entertainment functions, the 8310 is foremost an e-mail device. It allows access of up to 10 e-mail accounts simultaneously and supports many popular ISP e-mail accounts as well as Microsoft Exchange and IBM Lotus Domino. Unfortunately, e-mails are still date stamped with the time they are downloaded to your handset, rather than the time they were actually sent. For personal e-mail such as POP3 accounts, setup is a simple process of entering your e-mail address and password and letting the handset do the rest.
As a phone, the 8310 is a well equipped device, offering voice dialling, conference calling, speed dialling and call forwarding. Voice calls are clear, though not as crisp or loud as regular mobile phones. The biggest drawback is a common theme amongst BlackBerry units -- no support for 3G, and no Wi-Fi.
The combination of the intuitive trackball and tactile keyboard makes the 8310 a joy to use. E-mail can be typed at fast speeds, while the general usability of the unit is great thanks to the user-friendly interface and practical trackball.
The 8310 includes a SiRF Star III GPS receiver and Vodafone's Compass software is simple to download through the handset. The software offers full turn-by-turn navigation both on foot and in-car and also allows you to search for a number of POIs (Points of Interest) including restaurants, cinemas, parking and petrol. Although the lack of a touch screen does count against its use as a GPS, the software is quite simple to use and is fairly intuitive. The biggest complaint is speed; over a non-3G network data rates are sluggish, and this can become frustrating. Pricing for Vodafone Compass is $2.50 per day, $8 per month or $79 for a full year subscription.
The 8810 includes a media player that supports most common file formats and a 3.5mm headphone jack is a welcome addition. Bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP means you can wirelessly stream your music to a compatible pair of Bluetooth headphones. The 8310 also includes a 2-megapixel camera. It's fine for a few happy snaps but the flash isn't strong enough for adequate night-time photography.
Content is stored on either the 64MB of flash memory, or a microSD card (not included). The latter is easily accessible underneath the rear cover and conveniently users don't have to remove the battery to swap the microSD card.
Battery life is average according to RIM figures of up to 408 hours standby time and up to four hours talk time. New customers signing up to Vodafone before December 1st 2007 will receive Vodafone Compass free for the first 12 months.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Latest Spartan sports watches hit the scene
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
- Google's Pixel Launcher leak hints at the demise of the Nexus brand
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Financial and Billing systemsVIC
- TPData Migration Developer - SalesforceNSW
- CCJava Developer- API &Micro servicesNSW
- FTWindows EngineerACT
- CCSenior PMO ManagerNSW
- FTAnalyst Programmer - Contact Centre ApplicationsOther
- FTAccount ManagerOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro servicesOther
- FTLead UI Designer (Apps)NSW
- CCApplications Deployment/SupportQLD
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- TPSQL DevloperNSW
- FTTechnology and Strategy Architecture ManagerQLD
- CCMS Dynamics Technical Consultant - 6 month contract Initially - SydneyNSW
- CCService Management AnalystNSW
- TPBusiness Process Flow AnalystNSW
- FTApplication/Maintenance DeveloperOther
- FTMarketing Executive - Digital, Direct and Customer MarketingOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Technical Business AnalystACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Designer - Telecommunications - UrgentOther
- FTReporting Consultant with AlteryxOther