Research In Motion BlackBerry 7100g
- Smaller form factor than handheld models, easy to use
- Not as suited to heavy email use as the handheld models
If you're after a phone first and mobile email second, the 7100g is the BlackBerry for you.
Price$ 659.00 (AUD)
A common complaint about the popular BlackBerry email-centric devices is that they're too bulky. RIM has taken this on board and expanded its range of BlackBerry handhelds with what it calls "business phones". The silver 7100g is a notable departure from the familiar chunky email-capable handhelds, which will make it appeal to a wide audience.
The quad-band BlackBerry 7100g, measuring a scant 11.7 x 5.9 x 2cm and weighing a mere 120g, looks and feels much like a mobile phone.
It includes all the standard BlackBerry features, like the ability to send and receive email via an Exchange or Domino server or directly through POP accounts. It's possible to synchronise calendar, address book, email and task list between a desktop PC and the handheld via the straightforward bundled software. It charges over the USB connection, too.
The screen is well lit, but it's a little small compared to some of the more dedicated email-friendly BlackBerry models like the 7230 or 7290. The keyboard is also cramped for large fingers, but with practice it's possible to achieve a reasonable typing speed. It's adequate for answering the odd email and setting appointments, but not ideal for entering long blocks of text.
Bluetooth is bundled natively, but the unit also ships with a cabled earpiece and microphone for hands-free operation. There's full support for polyphonic ring tones, a built-in speaker phone and 32MB of on-board storage.
You need to buy the device before getting it connected to a provider. At time of reviewing, you could get it connected through Optus on with an access fee of $45 per month (on a plan over 24 months). The plan includes a capped fee of $99 for up to $500 of voice and data calls (see www.optus.com.au/blackberry for more details).
The device fits well into your hand and yet still offers email functionality. They keyboard is easy to use, and the screen is clear. In fact, the 7100g is a great all-round device.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic launches new Windows powered Toughpad
- Oppo release limited Barcelona FC version of R11 flagship
- 3SIXT Reveals iPhone X Offering
- ALDI Mobile Ups Stakes in the Telco Industry
- Tech21 Unveils New Phone Protection for Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- FTService Desk Consultant - Must have baseline or NV1 clearanceOther
- CCBusiness Analyst - Government OrganizationVIC
- CCSOC AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Agile Digital Business Analyst - Immediate StartOther
- CCSalesforce Technical ArchitectNSW
- FTMultiple SOC Analyst RolesOther
- CCData Business AnalystNSW
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- FTBusiness Analyst (SAP Security)Other
- FTSalesforce ArchitectOther
- FTData Scientist/Java LeadVIC
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTNetwork Data EngineerOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTBI Service Operations LeadOther
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTApplication Service Delivery ManagerNSW
- CCService Management AnalystNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther