Razer Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headphones
- Eight drivers for surround sound, in-line volume controls, removable ear-cup pads, detachable microphone
- Tinny high notes
The Razer Barracuda HP-1 gaming headphones are a solid surround sound option for PC gaming. The sound quality is fairly good and the overall experience of the eight drivers was, if nothing else, a lot of fun.
Price$ 129.99 (AUD)
Razer is already well known for its gaming mice, but can now be recognised for its gaming headphones too, thanks to the Razor Barracuda HP-1. With soft, padded ear-cups and a discreet, detachable microphone, the Barracuda HP-1 gaming headphones provide immersive surround sound in comfort. An in-line remote allows for instant volume control, and the use of eight speaker drivers gives gamers another dimension to their gaming experience.
The connection used by the Barracuda HP-1 headphones looks very similar to a DVI connector and is actually designed to connect to Razer's Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio Card, which is used in conjunction with the HP-1 for improved performance. We tested the Barracuda HP-1 without the AC-1 Gaming Audio Card, instead using the onboard audio of our Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard via the supplied 6-channel analogue breakout cable, which uses standard 3.5mm jacks.
Setting up the headphones is quite simple. The breakout cable has three 3.5mm jacks for 6-channels and a microphone jack. It also has a USB connector, which supplies power to the headphones. The in-line remote allows the volume to be adjusted for front, rear, centre and bass individually, as well as the master volume. Also found on the in-line remote is an on/off switch, which has three settings. The third setting simply turns the headphones on, but also sets ablaze the blue LED Razor logos on either ear-cup and on the remote itself.
Individually adjusting the volume for each channel is something we found very handy, giving greater control over the audio environment. The drivers were able produce audio much louder than we were comfortable listening to, without distorting at all. The sound quality is good, but not outstanding. High tones had a slightly hollow feel with a very subtle tinny twang. The bass was more than enough for gaming, rumbling noticeably on deep notes, but not quite good enough to be our first choice when listening to bass-heavy music. Surround sound tests showed the headphones are capable of producing a clear directional sound from anywhere in a spherical sound-scape, including from above and below the point of reference, which makes 3D gaming environments considerably more immersive.
The head strap is self-adjusting and fits comfortably. The microphone is fairly small, staying well out of the way and can be easily removed if it becomes annoying. Despite its small size, the microphone delivers clear audio and has built-in noise reduction to improve the sound quality. The ear-cup pads are removable, which can be a blessing when trying to clean them after a long hot gaming session.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTProgram Manager - PCI ComplianceQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEWA
- FTSenior IT Project ManagerSA
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- FTSenior Microwave Transmission EngineerNSW
- FTMobile Apps TesterWA
- CCData Warehouse Solution DesignersACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst, WealthNSW
- CCIteration Manager/Scrum MasterQLD
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCWCEM DeveloperACT
- FTIteration ManagerQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- TPSenior Web DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- CCApplication PackagerSA
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCSharepoint DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- TPAssistant Change Manager | System Implementation ProjectQLD
- TPSolution Architect - LIS ProgramQLD