Radica Play TV Legends Space Invaders
- Good selection of old school titles, responsive arcade stick
- Mediocre picture quality, low grade buttons, too expensive.
For those of you looking for a trip down memory lane this product will provide some light amusement, but for the rest you are better off looking elsewhere for the thrill.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
When you look at the graphics, sound and immersion of today's video games it's hard to believe that they developed from such simple origins. The bump mapped, spectral lit, high resolution Dolby 5.1 world we know today was a thing of science fiction when video games were first invented. Two rectangles hitting a square back and forth to the tune of a few beeps was the work of a genius. For those of us old enough to remember Pong and Space Invaders, Radica have released an arcade stick infused with a good dose of nostalgia and a one way ticket to memory lane.
The Radica Play TV Legends Space Invaders is a replica of an old arcade machine joystick and buttons which plugs into the television set via standard RCA cables. Once turned on, it displays a menu of 5 games, one of which is the classic "Space Invaders". While the other games aren't nearly as famous as Space Invaders they are all instantly recognizable once you start a game.
The games are exactly as you remember them, with the same graphics and sounds except you don't have to pump money into them, nor do you have to hang out at the local fish and chip shop to play them. The joystick is very responsive in most games and the buttons work well but they don't seem to be as high quality as the stick, which tends to bring down the aesthetic appeal of the Play TV.
The unit is sturdy and well-built and can't be faulted in this department. Where it can be faulted is the picture quality. The usual RCA problems are prevalent but also seem to be a little amplified, meaning much of the finer detail in the text is replaced by an annoying haze. While normally in a system like this, a mediocre image is somewhat expected but at this price point it seems as though corners have been cut in the design process. It's a real shame, because the Play TV has the potential to be a high quality product worthy of the nostalgia it spawns.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Australian startup launches Tiller Kickstarter campaign
- Anki Arrives In Oz
- Griffin's PowerMate is the Surface Dial dead-ringer that's trapped in Mac land
- Take a ride on Positron’s Voyager, a full-motion chair for VR cinema
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Business Analyst (x2)NSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectVIC
- CCAutomation Scripter - Data CentresWA
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- CCSenior ETL Developer/DesignerVIC
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantACT
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- CCSenior Applications EngineerNSW
- CCMulesoft DeveloperVIC
- FTPortfolio Performance LeadOther
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- FTScrum Master, Marketing ProgramOther
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTProgram ManagerOther
- FTJunior-Mid Infra Project ManagerOther
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- FTGraduate Software Developer - Front EndWA
- FTAssociate Consultant - Help DeskNSW
- FTIT Audit ManagerNSW
- CCCall or Contact Centre OperatorNSW
- FTTest Analyst / Engineer (Cloud / O365 migration)Other
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystVIC
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW