Quicken Personal Plus 2006
- Comprehensive management of personal finances and investments.
- Fiddly install for upgrading users.
If you need better control over complex personal finances, this is more than up to the task.
Price$ 139.00 (AUD)
Basic personal finances can easily be managed on the back of an envelope or in a spreadsheet, but once you start juggling salaries, credit cards, mortgages, investment properties and share portfolios, a more structured solution is needed.
Quicken's Personal Plus package is aimed at individuals and families who want to better track and manage their financial situation, but don't need the complexity of a full-blown business finance package. Entering all your personal financial data is inevitably going to be a time-consuming task, but the well thought-out Getting Started model makes the process as painless as it's ever likely to be. This is done by breaking each section into categories and including useful localised lists of major financial institutions and shares to reduce the chances of data entry errors. Transactions from online bank accounts can be imported provided your institution supports QIF exports, which can further minimise the amount of typing required. Passwords can also be set to keep your information private.
Even if your finances require little more than salary tracking and working out how to reduce a mountainous mortgage and credit card debt, Personal Plus can assist with its Debt Reduction Planner, which demonstrates the impact of differing payment schemes. Users with a wider spread of investments can track superannuation and shares, with live updates on share prices for the latter. Assets can be tracked in multiple currencies if required. Reminders can be set for regular bills, and alerts set up to ensure debt doesn't grow to unmanageable levels. A wide (indeed, almost overwhelming) range of reports is available.
Separate modules allow you keep track of emergency contact information and to create an inventory of your possessions for insurance purposes (which can also be imported into your overall assets register). New additions to the 2006 release include integration with E*TRADE for active share traders, and the ability to export reports in PDF format
There are no obvious major flaws with this package, though installation is a tad fiddly for users of earlier versions (a good backup of existing data is essential as well). Both packaging and documentation seem a tad over-keen to sell Quicken's other services (such as online trading and customised stationery), and there are a few odd choices of terminology, such as 'semi-monthly' for 'fortnightly'. However, these are only minor quibbles. If you're willing to invest energy in setting up the system, Personal Plus will make it easy to track your progress towards key financial goals. (You can download a free trial version from Quicken's Web site, though this is time-limited to 30 days use.)
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCPega DeveloperWA
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- CCCloud Architect - AWSVIC
- FTDealing Room Support Analyst - IPC voiceNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTPrincipal Project ManagerVIC
- TPServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- CCJava Developer - IntergrationQLD
- TPAV Design Specialist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - Solutions and ApplicationsQLD
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- TPAgile Projet AdministratorVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTTeam Leader Solution DeliveryQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager (Office 365) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- CCdevOps EngineerNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- FTSenior IT Project ManagerSA
- FTBusiness Intelligence / Datawarehouse DeveloperSA
- CCPega DeveloperVIC
- FTOperations Manager - NV1 Cleared - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW