QNAP TS-509 Pro
A speedy NAS device that can store up to 7.5TB of data.
- eSATA and Dual Gigabit ports, fast transfer speeds, comprehensive remote administration features, RAID 5 and 6 configurations, compatible with 1.5TB hard drives
- LCD could be more functional, learning curve for Web interface
The TS-509 Pro is a comprehensive and functional network-attached storage device that gives users plenty of reasons to centralise their data. With handy administration features and the ability to expand storage on the fly, there’s little reason not to like this unit.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
With a potential capacity of 7.5 terabytes, comprehensive connectivity and enough sharing and networking functionality to suit almost any need, QNAP’s latest network storage offering is an excellent choice.
Billed as a high-end storage device for small businesses and corporate environments, the TS-509 Pro network-attached storage (NAS) device looks more functional and rugged than its smaller brother, the TS-409 Pro. Rather than a single perforated grille, the device’s five drive bays are visible. Each of them is lockable for extra security. The integrated display is useful for displaying basic configuration and operating information.
The device offers two separate Gigabit Ethernet ports for dual shared networking, as well as an eSATA porta for expanded storage and five USB ports for backup and USB-based UPS devices.
Possibly the biggest improvement compared to the TS-409 Pro is the ability to hot swap hard drives. We often found problems attempting to hot swap drives while the TS-409 Pro was on, but the TS-509 Pro easily recognised and adjusted once a new hard drive was inserted, using a beep to alert users when the drive is ready to use.
The majority of the device’s administrative features are accessible through its Web-based interface. It isn’t as attractive or straightforward as the Synology Disk Station DS408's, but it is certainly functional. Users can administer drive and RAID settings, with the ability to remotely expand RAID volumes under RAID 0/1/5/6 and JBOD configurations. After overcoming the slight learning curve, even novice users can easily administer user groups and other settings. There are also plenty of advanced features for the technologically adept to work with.
The integrated Download Station can download files using the HTTP, FTP and BitTorrent protocols, and unlike the TS-409 Pro you can also schedule downloads. The UPnP, Multimedia and iTunes servers are commendable inclusions.
The performance of the TS-509 Pro is particularly impressive. We transferred 28GB worth of data between a desktop PC with a Western Digital VelociRaptor (WD3000GLFS) and the TS-509 Pro with two Western Digital RE2 GreenPower (WD1000FYPS)s installed through a Gigabit switch, with surprising speeds. The unit managed a write speed of 31.6 megabytes per second. Read speeds were even faster at 33MBps, while the speed averaged 15.4MBps when copying files from one location on the NAS device to another.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Miofive 4K Dash Cam review: This friendly road watcher is ‘here for you!’
- 2 Dell U3223QE review: A winning debut for an IPS Black monitor
- 3 Asus TUF Gaming VG28UQL1A review: This 4K monitor plays nice with consoles
- 4 Firewalla Gold review: Powerful home network security in a tiny box
- 5 Acer Aspire 5 review: An affordable laptop that’s enjoyable to use
Latest News Articles
- This write-once portable SSD can never be erased
- Seagate’s Star Wars ‘Beskar Steel’ SSDs are storage fit for a bounty hunter
- Micron’s microscopic NVMe SSD packs 2TB of lightning-quick storage
- ‘UltraRAM’ breakthrough could merge storage and RAM into one component
- Samsung’s first PCIe 5.0 SSD is here and it’s stupidly fast
PCW Evaluation Team
Set up is effortless.
The strength of the Aruba Instant On AP11D is that the design and feature set support the modern, flexible, and mobile way of working.
Aruba backs the AP11D up with a two-year warranty and 24/7 phone support.
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
- Top 10 best Android and Apple phones for under $600
- 25 Essential Party Games On PC And Console To Play With Family And Friends
- Mesh Wi-Fi vs Traditional Routers: Which is better?
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies