Pyramat PM 550
- Great sound quality, great bass, good player interaction
- Not many gamers play while laying down, takes up space, limited use.
If you love crazy gaming peripherals or want to experience a new level of gaming, the Pyramat is quite an achievement.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
With graphics becoming more advanced every day, our yearning for realism in gaming is slowly being satisfied. While the virtual reality craze of the early 90s didn't quite take off, the idea of enveloping a player in the action seems to have lingered. The rumble pack in the Nintendo 64 introduced tactile contact with a video game, by giving the player immediate feedback to the on screen action by way of a gyro motor that would vibrate on command.
The Dual Shock controller from Sony jumped on the bandwagon while also perfecting it. These days people are so used to the vibrating controller that they don't give it a second thought. A new benchmark needs to be set, and the senses need to once more be uniquely stimulated. Enter the Pyramat PM 550. The PM 550 is a mat with what appears to be a raised pillow at one end. Inside the pillow is a vibration mat (really just a big sub woofer) and high quality speakers. The gamer attaches the RCA audio plugs from their console into the base and all sound for the game is routed to the mat instead of their television.
The effect is quite stunning. At first, it is slightly annoying and having something vibrating on your back seems more distracting than anything. However, once we got used to it, we actually found it contributing to the gaming experience. Sometimes, our jobs can be rather fun. In reviewing this product we got to set it up in front of a 62 inch DLP rear projection TV while playing Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter on our Xbox 360 in 720p high definition. It was very cool. The audio coming from the speakers was outstanding and the bass thumped hard against our back as we landed at our insertion point. As the helicopter flew away the rumble of the blades faded as the sound faded and we moved quietly toward the rally point.
With each hostile we brought down, the mat would react beautifully, each bullet corresponding to a thump from the bass or a hiss from the speakers. At first this was frustrating, as it was really distracting, but as we were cowering behind some cover that was being pummeled by AK-47 fire, we realised that it was actually helping the experience. The vibrations were causing a highly intense interaction with the game that hadn't been possible before. This is not a slight on Ghost Recon, the game is the best thing on the 360 at the moment, but with every game there is a level of detachment that the Pyramat seems to slightly melt away.
While it's fun to use and is a great idea, there are some fundamental flaws to the Pyramat that can't be ignored. The first and most obvious is that it is a mat. As experienced gamers, we really don't believe many people actually play games while lying on the floor. Most people play sitting in a chair or on a couch. Laying on the floor is too uncomfortable to play for extended periods. Secondly, the mat takes up a lot of space and would have to become a permanent fixture in a room to be used. While it goes fold away it's not terribly compact and would need to be set up every time you use it, which would be a pain. The last point is that having only RCA connections, the use is only limited to stereo usages. If you wanted to play a game with in a home theatre environment the Pyramat MP 550 would be useless.
We enjoyed this product and appreciate both its originality and quality but at the same time believe that you really need to decide if you will actually use it regularly enough to fork out the cash to get one. We are told there is a range of chair based products coming in the range in the near future and look forward to seeing those. We will have reviews for those products as soon as they become available.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Overwatch League draws millions of eyes in first week
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Razer
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTFull stack DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Java DeveloperACT
- FTCRM Business AnalystACT
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - HP Service Manager 9VIC
- TPTest Analyst / CoordinatorQLD
- CCDigital Business Analyst/ Quality Assurance AnalystVIC
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- CCTechnical Lead (Java, Spring Boot, Web APIs) - Brisbane LocationNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPPMO ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity Cleared Network EngineerACT
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- CCCapacity ManagerACT
- TPApplications Project ManagerACT
- CCFull Stack Web DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSitecore Developer/ArchitectOther
- CCJunior Java DevelopersVIC
- TPIntegration DeveloperACT
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)SA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MortgagesOther